Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > RIMS vs blankets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
JakeFegely
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default RIMS vs blankets

After 20+ all grain batches, I feel the next point to improve is maintaining mash temps. I typically lose 2 to 4 degrees over a 60 minute mash in my 10 gallon cooler. HERMS is too expensive right now; I was considering building a RIMS system. Somewhere here I read a thread that discussed that the coolers that we typically mash with are designed to keep things cold - not to keep things hot. Specifically the sides and bottom are well insulated, but the top is not. Obvious enough, but I never thought about it....

For my last 2 batches, I have covered the top of my cooler with 3 or 4 folded blankets. I have not been able to measure any temperature drop (I use a Thermapen digital thermocouple thermometer). The mashes were done in my 55 degree garage.

I still need to hit the initial temp right, but this is a nice improvement at no cost to me.

I thought raising kids required patience until I started trying to convince yeast to make beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Nanobru
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

RIMs is the way to go. Play with fire! Get you hands on some tincture of Iodine to check for starch conversion, youd be surprised to learn that a 1 hour mash is usually unecessary with todays malts.

I do not subscribe to threads, so if you have a question pm me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply