Really cloudy beer - HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooMan

Reaction score
My most recent brew has turned cloudy following kegging (nitrogen) and chilling. It's so cloudy it looks like raw apple cider. It also has hardly Amy carbonation, but I would expect that with only 4 days of pressure on it.

Could I have picked up a bacteria during kegging? This was my first attempt at it with a used keg. I cleaned it twice and sanitized with starsan prior to filling. Could this be an extreme case of chill haze?

Please help. I don't wan to make the same mistake twice.

M

When did you keg it, 4 days ago? It won't be clear for about 2 weeks. You'll see it slowly clear up. And it will eventually be crystal clear. If you just set it on the gas at serving pressure it will take about a week to be carbed. You are fine, no worries.

Did you carbonate with CO2 before putting it on Nitrogen? Or are you actually using beer gas? Either way, you want to carbonate it first, then put it on nitro/beer gas for serving.

How clear was the brew when it went into the keg?

I did not pressurize with C02 prior to nitro. I put it on 30psi with a nitro/C02 beer blend for day 1. The beer looked typical for me in terms of clarity when I siphoned it into the keg. It is hard to judge clarity from my fermentation pale though. I didn't have it in a secondary carboy or anything. My beers tend to be a little cloudy from chill haze I think but I am going to start using some Irish moss to help out with my next brew. Is this cloudig typical of C02 pressurized beers as well? Why does it take time to clarify?

From everything I've read about using a beer gas setup, you need to carbonate the brew BEFORE you put it on beer gas... Just not enough CO2 in the mix, plus nitrogen blocking, to carbonate the brew. Put it on CO2 for a couple of weeks, at the right PSI to carbonate, then back to beer gas (be sure to vent the beer gas before you put it on CO2) for serving.

If this is your first time using a keg, then you may have been duped by the initial pull of the beer off the bottom of the keg. As the beer clears all the sediment drops to the bottom, and the first few pints that you draw out of the keg can be pretty chunky. Usually the rest of the beer is much, much clearer though.

Latest posts

Back