Raising mash temperature with boiling water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach1288

Reaction score
I just mashed in and undershot my target temperature of 152F. It settled at 150F so I added a quart of nearly boiling water to bring the temperature up to 152F. Did I do the right thing? :rockin:

I checked the temperature after 60 minutes and it was 149F. Is it normal to loose that much heat in a Rubbermaid cooler over an hour mash? Will this effect my final gravity? I don't want it to be too dry. I'm making a red ale that I want to finish around 1.010 or a little higher.

Its normal to lose temp over a 60 minute mash. I lose 2 or 3 degrees when doing 5 gallon batches and lose 1 or less degree when doing 10 gallon batches in my cooler mash tun. I cover my cooler with a blanket during the mash to help maintain temp. Most of the conversion is done within 30 minutes, so dropping a few degrees wont hurt anything. Plus depending on what yeast you're using 149 degrees probably wont put you below 1.010 anyway. It'll be fine.

I checked the temperature after 60 minutes and it was 149F. Is it normal to loose that much heat in a Rubbermaid cooler over an hour mash? Will this effect my final gravity? I don't want it to be too dry. I'm making a red ale that I want to finish around 1.010 or a little higher.

My guess is that the original mash was not as hot as you thought it was. It is very common for the mash not to be mixed or stirred thoroughly enough. From 152 to 149F is not going to drastically dry the beer. RDWAHAHB

My guess is that the original mash was not as hot as you thought it was. It is very common for the mash not to be mixed or stirred thoroughly enough. From 152 to 149F is not going to drastically dry the beer. RDWAHAHB

IME it takes a good ten minutes for the mash temp to stabilize...likely you were a little low...next time mash a little higher to anticipate a drop in temp and then decide where "your" sweet spot is.....

Rather than fight a slight temp drop...simply learn to anticipate and roll w/ it...RDWHAHB

Back