Post boil clarifying agents?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooperhonk

Reaction score
I missed the addition of Irish Moss during last 15 minutes of boil on my ESB. When I think of a good ESB, I think of a nice clear amber look without a lot of mealiness. Halfway through ferment now. Anything I could do at kegging or bottling (using Blichmann beer gun) to improve clarity?

Sooperhonk said:
I missed the addition of Irish Moss during last 15 minutes of boil on my ESB. When I think of a good ESB, I think of a nice clear amber look without a lot of mealiness. Halfway through ferment now. Anything I could do at kegging or bottling (using Blichmann beer gun) to improve clarity?

You can simply cold crash it or use gelatin/clearing agent in the keg once its cold.

+1 on the gelatin. Put it in a keg and let it cold crash for 24 hours. Add the gelatin (great videos on YouTube on the process). Let it carb up and enjoy. The first two pints will be junk but after that it will be pretty clear. Keep in mind it will only get clearer the longer it sits in the keg...

I don't use any finings except for whirlfloc in the kettle. About 1/2 the time, I forgot to add it!

I won't use gelatin or things like that in my beer. It honestly doesn't seem to matter- my beer still clears beautifully after about 3 days in the keg.

Yours should still clear just fine, even without the Irish moss.

duboman said:
You can simply cold crash it or use gelatin/clearing agent in the keg once its cold.

Thx dubo. Rookie question for you...this beer is fermenting at 62-ish F. What temp would/should I bring it down to when I rack to keg? What constitutes a "real" cold crash?

Thx again

Sooperhonk said:
Thx dubo. Rookie question for you...this beer is fermenting at 62-ish F. What temp would/should I bring it down to when I rack to keg? What constitutes a "real" cold crash?

Thx again

IMO 35-40 is a good crash but also, Yooper is correct, if you can crash you really don't need anything. Even time alone will simply clear the beer nicely.

I threw it out there as an option because it works but I also don't add anything to my beer. I few days cold and everything clears nicely without it:)

ESB probably means you used an english yeast. everyone's talking to you about kegging so i'm assuming you keg.

if i were you i wouldn't worry about it. english yeasts floc out really well. if you let it carb naturally on the CO2 for 10-12 days rather than shaking the kegs i think it will be fine by the time you get to drink it.

duboman said:
IMO 35-40 is a good crash but also, Yooper is correct, if you can crash you really don't need anything. Even time alone will simply clear the beer nicely.

I threw it out there as an option because it works but I also don't add anything to my beer. I few days cold and everything clears nicely without it:)

Nice. Learn something new everyday on here. I may just let the English yeast and cold do its job and skip the gelatin this time. We'll see how it turns out. Cheers

Back