PM Recipe Needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
So I went and got everything to brew a PM Newcastle clone today and realized I have the "Beer Captured" book and not "CloneBrews". The sad thing is that the owners of my LHBS wrote both books and could have easily picked it up (or at least grabbed a print out of the recipe from them). Crap. Does anyone have the recipe/instructions for this?

huh. when i ordered from them, they gave me the recipe and instructions along with it...i'd assume they did the same for all their customers. i'd call them and have them fax or email it to you. i guess if you're brewing today they are closed, eh?

huh. when i ordered from them, they gave me the recipe and instructions along with it...i'd assume they did the same for all their customers. i'd call them and have them fax or email it to you. i guess if you're brewing today they are closed, eh?

Ya, unfortunately they are closed now. However, everything is measured out already. looks like I have 3.5 lbs of grain and 3.5 lbs of extract. Can you help figure out the water volumes and temps based on that? It's my first PM and don't exactly trust myself to figure it out correctly. I'm mashing in a 5g round cooler. Partial boil.

Ya, unfortunately they are closed now. However, everything is measured out already. looks like I have 3.5 lbs of grain and 3.5 lbs of extract. Can you help figure out the water volumes and temps based on that? It's my first PM and don't exactly trust myself to figure it out correctly. I'm mashing in a 5g round cooler. Partial boil.

I'm thinking with 3lbs of grain I'd mash with 3.75 liters, heated to 163 (mash around 150 for 1 hour). Then sparge with another 3.75 liters heated to 168.

You should use 1.25 quarts per pound of grain for a total of 3.75 quarts. Mash around 153 for an hour, and then sparge (rinse) with 170 degree water, using 1.5 gallons of sparge water. (maybe that's the same in liters, I don't know. I'm woefully ignorant of the metric system.

You should use 1.25 quarts per pound of grain for a total of 3.75 quarts. Mash around 153 for an hour, and then sparge (rinse) with 170 degree water, using 1.5 gallons of sparge water. (maybe that's the same in liters, I don't know. I'm woefully ignorant of the metric system.

Ok, my first mash is underway. I ended up at about 146 by the time my grains were settled in. I heated up some more water, added it, and stired - came out to be about 150. Did the same thing and ended up at 150 again! So, I'm letting it sit as is for now. I'm going to check the temp in about 20 minutes. How low of a temp would justify adding even more water?
I'm planning 1.5 gallons for the sparge.

Thanks!

Ok, my first mash is underway. I ended up at about 146 by the time my grains were settled in. I heated up some more water, added it, and stired - came out to be about 150. Did the same thing and ended up at 150 again! So, I'm letting it sit as is for now. I'm going to check the temp in about 20 minutes. How low of a temp would justify adding even more water?
I'm planning 1.5 gallons for the sparge.

Thanks!

Just keep an eye on it add as much heat as needed to maintain the temp. 150 is fine. You just end up with slightly more fermentable wort than you would've at 153.

Also, make sure you stir it as you're heating it so that the heat distributes evenly and you don't scorch it.

Just keep an eye on it add as much heat as needed to maintain the temp. 150 is fine. You just end up with slightly more fermentable wort than you would've at 153.

Also, make sure you stir it as you're heating it so that the heat distributes evenly and you don't scorch it.

Damn. Just checked the temp and it's in the low 140's. I'm mashing in a rubbermain 5g cooler so I'm adding hot water and stirring it in. Looks like I'm going to add some more!

Damn. Just checked the temp and it's in the low 140's. I'm mashing in a rubbermain 5g cooler so I'm adding hot water and stirring it in. Looks like I'm going to add some more!

Actually, it was at 148. I'm just going to add a small amount of hot water.

Ok, it's at 150 now and I'm just going to leave it alone for the rest of the mash. Any more water and I'm going to need to go out and buy a wort chiller and larger brewpot!

That's okay too. It's called an infusion mash (sort of) and a lot of brewers do that on regular basis. I was just thinking you were mashing in a pot is all. What Ecnerwal suggested is similar to a decoction.

Thanks to everyone for the help yesterday. Looks like everything went relatively well and I hit my target OG almost on the nose.

One question... I usually strain the wort from my boil into my primary. However, I somehow didn't remember this and ended up just pouring it in, hops and all. Is this ok? It also looked REALLY cloudy(lots of stuff floating around in the tube) when I took my hydrometer reading. I'm hoping this is just because I didn't strain it and will all settle ok.

Back