Pineapple Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peecan52

Reaction score
I brewed a very simple American Wheat yesterday.Two pounds of two-row and 2 pounds of White Wheat equalled 3 gallons into the fermentor. I used US-05 saved from a previous batch. SG was 1.037. I am planning to secondary on 1 fresh pineapple after 2 weeks. I will peel, core and chunk it and am planning on letting the beer sit on that for another 2 weeks.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with pineapple that could critique my pineapple plan. I haven't found much info on here about it. Pineapples have been really good recently and I want to capture that in beer form.

Awesome, sounds delicious! I've had pineapple beer from a fermentation vessel, but never the final cold/conditioned/carbed product. It was good though.

Might I suggest you freeze the pineapple a couple days before hand. It will break the cell walls and allow for more contact with the beer, plus it sanitizes it.

I have never heard of freezing the pineapple first, but it makes sense. I think that will be my new plan. Thanks.

I use pineapple in my Pirate Strong Ale. This is my go to recipe. I love it, the SWMBO loves it, and my friends cant get enough of it.

Pineapple is added with 15 mins left in the boil, and removed from the wort before adding to the primary. The pineapple taste shines through well balanced in the finished brew....

Mmmm...I wish this keg didn't just kick the other day.....time to make more...

5 lbs American 2-row
0.5 lbs Weyermann CaraAroma
5 lbs Dry Light Extract
1 lbs Torrified Wheat
1 lbs Light Brown Sugar
0.5 oz Galena (Pellets, 14.1 %AA) boiled 60 min.
1 oz Citra™ (Pellets, 14.0 %AA) boiled 5 min.
1 ea. Cinnamon (stick) (15 min boil)
1 tbsp. Yeast Nutrient (AKA Fermax) (15 min boil)
4 oz. French Oak Wood Chips presoaked 2 weeks in Myers Dark Rum (secondary)
1 ea. Vanilla (whole bean split open) (Secondary)
10 oz. Pineapple (fresh) (15 min boil)
Yeast :White Labs WLP060 American Ale Yeast Blend info

j1laskey said:
I use pineapple in my Pirate Strong Ale. This is my go to recipe. I love it, the SWMBO loves it, and my friends cant get enough of it.

Pineapple is added with 15 mins left in the boil, and removed from the wort before adding to the primary. The pineapple taste shines through well balanced in the finished brew....

Mmmm...I wish this keg didn't just kick the other day.....time to make more...

5 lbs American 2-row
0.5 lbs Weyermann CaraAroma
5 lbs Dry Light Extract
1 lbs Torrified Wheat
1 lbs Light Brown Sugar
0.5 oz Galena (Pellets, 14.1 %AA) boiled 60 min.
1 oz Citra™ (Pellets, 14.0 %AA) boiled 5 min.
1 ea. Cinnamon (stick) (15 min boil)
1 tbsp. Yeast Nutrient (AKA Fermax) (15 min boil)
4 oz. French Oak Wood Chips presoaked 2 weeks in Myers Dark Rum (secondary)
1 ea. Vanilla (whole bean split open) (Secondary)
10 oz. Pineapple (fresh) (15 min boil)
Yeast :White Labs WLP060 American Ale Yeast Blend info

this sounds tasty.

keep in mind that freezing typically doesn't kill bacteria just slows/stops its growth. if you didn't want to boil it prior to adding to the secondary maybe you could soak it in rum or vodka or steam it to kill the nasties.

I also use a pineapple corer.

pineapple_corer.jpg

This will give you nothing but the inner meat of the pineapple.

How did this turn out? I'm thinking of brewing a pineapple wheat. Is there any truth to the assertion that pineapples are germ ridden? How did you end up preparing the pineapple?

Could you just throw the chunked pineapple in a hop spider or bag the last 15 minutes if you had that available to keep the pulp contained.

Back