Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Nottingham yeast - hydrate or not ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 03:08 AM   #21
gizmodog51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

my own experience has been better start off when my dry yeasts has been hydrated, though i use a starter and add oxygen to wort after pitching and have experienced start up within minutes if the wort isnt too chilly...otherwise theres a lag time of 30 -45 minutes.
GD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 03:15 AM   #22
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
To maximize your cell count and minimize stress/shock of the yeast, it is best to rehydrate dry yeast before pitching. This is an undisputed fact.
really? i thought tons of experienced brewers dispute it. this thread is proof. me, i just pitch dry, and always have

Taps:
1: Pilsen Ale (Pilsner made with US05)
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Skeeter Pee
4: Hoegarden Saison
Fermenting: English Mild

Old 10-02-2012, 03:32 AM   #23
CS223
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
Rehydrating wouldnt have told you anything, whether the yeast were dead or not they would have absorbed the liquid and looked identical.
I'll dispute that.

First, I pull the mfrs product sheet and follow the instructions. If you read the sheet on Notty, some things will shock you.

http://www.danstaryeast.com/sites/de..._datasheet.pdf

When I follow the instructions, the viability of the yeast is evident by the foam layer that forms in the specified time. It doesn't just appear as wet yeast in water.

No where does Danstar recommend dumping the dry yeast into the wort.

Fermentis OTOH gives you the option, in the case of US-05 & others of rehydrating into a paste or dumping dry yeast into the wort.

Does it matter in the end? I don't know but I like to think that the mfr. knows what's best for it's product and I'm inclined to heed their instructions. I do know that there is far less lag with Notty when rehydrated as called for verses US-05 that is pitched dry into the fermentor.

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #24
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

This goofy bastard says its better to over pitch, so i vote hydrate!

Or not, quite frankly i think this is just one of those things where it doesn't quite make a difference for most beers of a lower gravity.

*** Warning - video added for humor, not to be taken seriously ***
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 10-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #25
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
Rehydrating wouldnt have told you anything, whether the yeast were dead or not they would have absorbed the liquid and looked identical.
Wrong... the particular bad batch I mentioned did not absorb liquid at all. It looked like dry yeast floating in liquid. It was obvious to anyone that had ever rehydrated that something was different.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #26
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBTHEukBREWER View Post
thanks, everybody, so if we choose to hydrate first, adding a small amount of yeast nutrient and brewing sugar - OR - a little diluted mash, would get the yeast into pro-active mode, me thinks....
The package specifies NOT to rehydrate in wort. I don't understand why though, my logic mirrored yours. Either way I've only used it once. I rehydrated and it fermented a 1.06 wort down to 1.012 in 3 days. A little tart for claiming little to no esters. I fermented at 64.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #27
Dougie63
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

how does the mfgs of notty know what the beer will ferment to? Mash temp determines that whatever whatever Ill keep sprinkling on top Ive been doing that all along with low grav beers and high gravity beers and I dont see how rehydrating is going to make a great tasting beer any better.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #28
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
really? i thought tons of experienced brewers dispute it. this thread is proof. me, i just pitch dry, and always have
All this thread proves is that there is a lot of ignorance of brewing science out there.

Pitching dry can result in up to 50% reduction in possible viable cells due to excessive osmotic pressure from a high density sugar solution (wort) on the cell walls.

Again, it will work in most standard gravity worts, but it is not optimal and most often results in under-pitching and introduction of excessive dead yeast into your new beer. If that doesn't bother you, then by all means, keep pitching dry.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #29
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
Tons of experienced brewers might dispute that it makes a difference in the finished product. I am not sure anyone is disputing that pitching into wort without rehydrating causes a loss of viable yeast cells.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 10-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #30
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
All this thread proves is that there is a lot of ignorance of brewing science out there.

Pitching dry can result in up to 50% reduction in possible viable cells due to excessive osmotic pressure from a high density sugar solution (wort) on the cell walls.

Again, it will work in most standard gravity worts, but it is not optimal and most often results in under-pitching and introduction of excessive dead yeast into your new beer. If that doesn't bother you, then by all means, keep pitching dry.
I like to think of it as killing off the weak 50%, i only want the most bad ass yeast cells to survive anyways to make my beer...i'm glad my beer kills the weak ones.

(Not srs)

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!
oakbarn Likes This 

Quick Reply