Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > No-Sparge BIAB Water Volume

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
NigeltheBold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default No-Sparge BIAB Water Volume

I'm about to try my first all-grain batch using the brew in a bag method. I plan on skipping the sparge, and mashing in the full volume of water that I need for a 5g batch. The problem is, I don't know how much water to start with. I've seen all sorts of ratios and figures to calculate water volume, but I'm not sure which to use for the no-sparge method. I don't know my boil-off rate (first time using my new kettle), but I do know that I'm using 9lbs. of grain. Should I assume a 1g boil-off rate? If that's the case, my pre-boil water volume needs to be 6g. But how do I account for grain absorption?

What amount of water would you use for a 9lb. grain bill?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here's an Excel calculator I put together, works perfect for me.

http://beerreviewdude.com/biab-calculator/

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 03-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
NigeltheBold
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrookeiv View Post
Here's an Excel calculator I put together, works perfect for me.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...nc&hl=en#gid=0
Wow, that's a handy tool! According to the spreadsheet, I would need to start with 7.13 gallons of water. Do you squeeze the grain bag after letting it drain back into the kettle?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabutna View Post
Wow, that's a handy tool! According to the spreadsheet, I would need to start with 7.13 gallons of water. Do you squeeze the grain bag after letting it drain back into the kettle?
I generally squeeze the bag as much as possible, and also sparge most of the time. If I want to sparge, I just subtract ~2 gallons from the initial strike volume and sparge with that.

I've embed the spreadsheet on my blog, might be easier to use there.

http://beerreviewdude.com/biab-calculator/

Quote:
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 03-22-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
bschoenb
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm seriously thinking of trying this as my first all grain Method... where does one get such a large bag?

~ BIAB : All Grain Made Easy ; Mash, Sparge, Boil all in the same Kettle ~ all you need is a bag and a hook!

Old 03-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschoenb View Post
I'm seriously thinking of trying this as my first all grain Method... where does one get such a large bag?
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...oducts_id=1058

Quote:

Old 03-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
gunner65
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I do a 90 minute boil and it takes 9 gallons to do a 1.055 ish gravity beer 5.5 gallons into the ferm. I figure close to a gallon lossed to grain even though I sqeeze nearly 2 gallons lossed in the 90 minute boil then there is the wort lossed in the lines of the chiller pump etc. That is just how it works out for me YMMV

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #8
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

or if you can sew or know someone that can... you can make a bag out of Voile.. it can be found at any fabric store in the drapery section.

as far as grain absorption, I use grain x .15 = absorption

for total volume I use final volume + absorption + boil off + trub loss = total volume. for MY kettle using a 9lb grain bill I would use 5 + 1.35 + 1 + .25 = 7.6 that would give me enough water to account for a higher than normal boil off (weather conditions change boil off rate) or a higher amount absorbed by grain or hops or if I get a higher amount of trub from hot break/cold break.

that calculator is a good tool to have a link to...thanks

Old 03-22-2011, 11:09 PM   #9
NigeltheBold
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Would it be safer to be on the lower side as far as water volume goes? That way, if my gravity is off, I can add water at the end make the gravity right? Technically, this wouldn't necessarily be a full-volume boil, but until I know how much water I boil off this may be the best way to go.

Also, if I do want to sparge, do I need to do a mash-out? And how long do I let the grains sit in the kettle with the sparging water?

Old 03-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #10
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabutna View Post
Would it be safer to be on the lower side as far as water volume goes? That way, if my gravity is off, I can add water at the end make the gravity right? Technically, this wouldn't necessarily be a full-volume boil, but until I know how much water I boil off this may be the best way to go.
That should be fine. If you add to much, just crank the burner and boil for a little while longer, but that will change your bitterness.

Quote:

Quick Reply