Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Never ready IIPA?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011, 03:20 AM   #1
pigdog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Never ready IIPA?!

I have an Imperial IPA that I have had in primary for almost a month now, this weekend will be a month. My other batches all were done in way less time. I only have 5 batches under my belt, so patience is the hardest part, but I'm determined to see this one thru. It is still active visually. The airlock bubbles are at 55 seconds. Smells like hoppy heaven. Do I wait for it to floc and settle? I wasn't planning on 2ndary but should I? If so how long? If not how long? I'm relaxed, not worried, had a few homebrews, but what the hell next!?!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 03:32 AM   #2
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Have you checked the specific gravity? Cuz otherwise you really don't know what's going on.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:18 AM   #3
kegdawg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A IIPA would seem to me to need more than a month...never made one but that seems like a young brew to be concerned about already.

Primary 1: Lambic
Primary 2: Dwarven Warrior Oatmeal Stout
Primary 3: Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale
Primary 4: Mojave Red

Bottled: Winter Warmer, Milk Chocolate Stout

Old 10-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Does anyone else twitch a little when they read a post measuring fermentation by airlock activity? I guess I'm nervous about getting clipped by Revvy's reply as it comes blasting in

To the OP: I feel your pain regarding patience. I'm not quite to 20 batches in 9 months of brewing, so I still get antsy. That being said, a big IIPA is going to take time and even my I/PAs sometimes release trapped gas from all the trub & hops at the bottom. So if you're really worried, break out the hydrometer and check your FG... Otherwise, do what I do--brew up another recipe to occupy your mind! that's a win-win!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf View Post
Does anyone else twitch a little when they read a post measuring fermentation by airlock activity? I guess I'm nervous about getting clipped by Revvy's reply as it comes blasting in
I feel the same way. We need to come up with an acronym similar to RDWHAHB for the "bubbles don't mean anything - buy a hydrometer and use it" sentiment.

Or maybe just BDMA would be enough to get the point across.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
pigdog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the replies first of all!
I have been taking gravity readings, it is still steadily dropping. I have pushed it aside. This is my 2nd batch, I've done 3 others since then. I've bottled batches 1, 3, and 4, been drinking batches 1 and 3, and am trying to decide what to brew this weekend. I guess the general consensus is keep doing what I'm doing? So my refined question is now this. Should I expect it clear? Or once the gravity stops dropping, should I not even be concerned with the physical appearance?

Old 10-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegdawg View Post
A IIPA would seem to me to need more than a month...never made one but that seems like a young brew to be concerned about already.
I've brewed 2 IIPAs, and going into it, I had the same expectation... that they would take a while. Both were at a steady FG in 7-10 days. After bottling, they were both carbed in a week. And while many beers, even if they are carbed at a week, still aren't at their best at that point, I have to say that the very first bottle of my first IIPA was the best of the batch, because the dry hops aroma and flavor were at their strongest. It was heaven.

Anyways, moral of the story I guess is that there's lots of general rules in brewing and there's even more exceptions to those rules.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigdog View Post
Thanks for all the replies first of all!
I have been taking gravity readings, it is still steadily dropping. I have pushed it aside. This is my 2nd batch, I've done 3 others since then. I've bottled batches 1, 3, and 4, been drinking batches 1 and 3, and am trying to decide what to brew this weekend. I guess the general consensus is keep doing what I'm doing? So my refined question is now this. Should I expect it clear? Or once the gravity stops dropping, should I not even be concerned with the physical appearance?
Did you dry hop? My experience with dry-hopped IIPAs is that they're going to be cloudy. I assume its a function of how much hop material gets crammed in there.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

It sounds like it's going slow, for sure! Mine are always finished fermenting in about 5-7 days, no matter what ales I make. Lagers may take 10 days.

I'd have to guess that the yeast was underpitched in this case.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
pigdog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes I did dry hop, she's a cloudy one alright!
5-7 days is what I'm used to seeing also yooper, that's why I'm questioning. I'm going to wait until I get the same gravity 2 times in a row, then bottle... I guess.
It may have been underpitched, I used a vial of white labs, but this recipe had a huge amount of DME, 11 lbs! Maybe next time I should pitch twice as much? Or just RDWHAH? Thnx again all

Quick Reply