Need Advice with First Sour Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancidcrabtree

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a sour mash based on the THE IMPATIENT MAN'S LAMBIC-ISH FRAMBOISE, found at http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=29637&st=0

My intent is to create something kind of like Lindemans Framboise (the one beer my wife will actually drink) except I don't want to wait a year or more for it to be ready! The recipe I'm thinking of is as follows:

8.0 lb Rahr two-row
2.0 lb White Wheat
1.0 lb Crystal 60L
1 oz Black Patent
1 oz Roasted Barley
1 oz Honey Malt
1 lb Lactose
0.5 lb oven aged cascade @ 60 mins
0.5 lb oven aged cascade @ 30 mins
US-05 ale yeast
9 lb frozen raspberries (racked on top of in secondary)

The procedure will be:

• mash all of the grains at a normal temperature, 152° or so, for 60 mins
  • mash out, collect my runnings, sparge, collect more runnings, and combine them all in brew pot
  • once it all cools to 120°, add a half pound of crushed, un-mashed 2-row, cover the pot with plastic cling wrap, and allow to sour for 12ish hours
  • skim the nasties off of the top, separate the sour wort from the grains, and boil for 90 mins, with the hop additions at 60 and 30 mins and the lactose at 5 mins.

My questions are:
1. Will this work to produce a drinkable sour beer?
2. Should I be worried about the amount of head space (oxygen exposure) during the souring?
3. Will the final product be dry, sour, and sweet??

This is my first time attempting anything like this so please bear with me and I am open to suggestions!

Back