Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My IPA, is it stuck?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 02:50 AM   #1
hoplobster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My IPA, is it stuck?

I brewed my first IPA (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=25124) yesterday and put it to rest at about 2pm, pitched whitelabs California Ale yeast into just shy of 3 gallons of 1.058 wort @ 75 degrees. It's nearing 32 hours and there isnt much activity going on... A very thin, white foamy layer (which I presume and hope is the krausen starting) has just begun to form and the airlock is slowly starting to bubble. After discovering no activty after 24 hours, I gave it a good shake to put everything back into suspension and so far, not much is going on.

If by morning, it's still not working too hard, what should I do? The brewshop won't be open again until Tuesday and I don't have any yeast lying around with the exception of what small amounts I can collect from my previous batch, which would be the whitelabs edinburgh strain... What should I do??

Maybe I'll do a starter next time

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2007, 02:52 AM   #2
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

Leave it alone for a week. Then check the gravity. If it's still way off then think about more yeast.

You're right about the starter. Here's the reason.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 03-27-2007, 01:00 AM   #3
hoplobster
Recipes 

Ok, this is funny, because I've always read through these types of threads thinking, "Gee man, don't worry" and doubly so because this was my "Don't Worry!" batch. But, fermentation started sometime over night, probably 36-38 hours or so of lag time, which is my longest gap between pitching and fermentation.

It smells absolutly wonderful but it looks a little weird. The krausen isn't as big as past brews and it looks like a yeast cake has formed on top of the brew, but based on the smell alone, I'm sure it'll be great. But that may just be the hops talking

Quick Reply