My First All-Grain tastes...grainy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPicasso

Hackbrewer extraordinaire
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm drinking my second all-grain brew and noticing right away that it doesn't have a strong "grainy" smell to it. My first AG brew did, but I didn't notice it since I didn't have much to compare to.

So what gives? I did BIAB for both, and the only "mistake" I can think of is my first AG mashed high for about 15-20 mins before I realized my thermometer was borked. It was in the high 150's, possibly 160's for a bit.

Would that affect it like this? Something else? First brew was cream of 3 crops. Second brew was pretty plain with 2/3 pale and 1/3 malted wheat. Both were around 1.055 OG.

How old is the beer? When did you brew it? I've had "grainy" tasting AG brews before, and in my experience, they were still green. The graininess went away with proper aging.

If I put too much rice in my cream ale I get a similar flavor. I think this happens if rice is mashed too high.

another thing that could effect possable flavors like that is ferm temps. if your ferm temp is a little too high you can get that type of an off flavor. mashing 155-160's will just create more body/mouth feel, not grainy flavor. now in the high 160's to 170's (more 170's) will produce bitter tannins.

Well, I tried another, and it seems that it might have been too green.

I think the rice + high mash temp probably had something to do with it.

My second brew was not grainy after 4 weeks in bottles, but the problem brew took about 6-7 (maybe 8, I have to double check my calender) weeks to un-grainify itself. And now, it's delicious!

(yes, the first taste really happened a couple of weeks ago, and I didn't get around to posting until yesterday)

Back