Mongo IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-lord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had the Mongo IPA but a friend has and asked me to try to duplicate it. There's very little I could find googling and what I did find shows lager yeast so I'm skeptical about the recipe.
Can anyone point me to a possibly close recipe?

Cheers!

This is all I can find and it sounds about right. Might try it in a few brews.
Amount Fermentable Maltster
13.0 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt Briess 86 %
1.0 lb Vienna Malt Simpson's 6 %
1.0 lb CaraVienne Any 6 %
Hops

Amount Hop Time
0.75 oz Cascade (NZ) 90 min
0.75 oz Columbus (US) 90 min
0.5 oz Centennial (US) 75 min
0.5 oz Centennial (US) 60 min
1.0 oz Cascade (NZ) 45 min
1.0 oz Cascade (NZ) 30 min
0.5 oz Centennial (US) 15 min
1.0 oz Simcoe (US) 1 min
1.0 oz Centennial (US) 7 days
1.0 oz Simcoe (US) 7 days
Yeasts

Name Lab/Product
California Lager Wyeast 2112
Extras

Amount Name Time
1.0 each Whirlfloc Tablet 15.0 min Boil
0.1 oz Yeast Nutrient (Wyeast) 15.0 min Boil
Notes

Met Mike @ Port Brewing and grabbed as much info as I could from him. They use 42 lbs Cascade, 15 lbs Simcoe, and 15 lbs Centennial for every 30 bbl (930 gal). Start with a small amount of

Kicking an old thread - my wife and I love Mongo and I want to understand its magic. Has anyone made progress on this?

Looking at avocadojr's recipe and notes, the note at the bottom looks to my newbish eye like a dry hop spec, as it comes to 2.4 #/gallon, which I understand is middle ground for dry hopping big IPAs these days. So I'm thinking of trying the recipe, but with 4 oz Cascade and 1.4 oz each Simcoe and Centennial, split between two dry hops. And Mongo seems to have some floral stuff going on, leading me to think the first dry hop should be fairly early (5 days in?) to allow some biotransformation.

thoughts?

I get good mango going with almost 100% of pale ale malt with 30gm each of Citra and Mosaic at 30 minutes boil. I add 4 to 5 brown/red young leaves of mango at 5 minutes. They release just enough tannins and aroma.
I use brewzilla, I do dry hops with same combination after 5 days. Since it is pressure fermented, aromas can’t escape. If not pressure fermenting, dry hop only after fermentation has really slowed down.

Kicking an old thread - my wife and I love Mongo and I want to understand its magic. Has anyone made progress on this?

Looking at avocadojr's recipe and notes, the note at the bottom looks to my newbish eye like a dry hop spec, as it comes to 2.4 #/gallon, which I understand is middle ground for dry hopping big IPAs these days. So I'm thinking of trying the recipe, but with 4 oz Cascade and 1.4 oz each Simcoe and Centennial, split between two dry hops. And Mongo seems to have some floral stuff going on, leading me to think the first dry hop should be fairly early (5 days in?) to allow some biotransformation.

thoughts?
It looks to me like the recipe already lists 1 oz each of Centennial and Simcoe for the dry hop. While 2 oz. total for dry hop for a 5 gal batch doesn't sound like a lot in light of the current "new school" IPAs, Mongo isn't exactly a new beer (indeed I'd call it a pure West Coast IPA), so I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 oz is legit.

I just looked at the numbers for the note at the bottom and I do think it kinda-sorta works out for the hot side amounts (3.5 oz/5 gal Cascade and 1.25 oz/5 gal of both Simcoe and Centennial). I saw on BA that the IBUs are 99 (but who knows if that is accurate). Putting this recipe into Brewers Friend for a 5 gal batch results in way more than 99 IBUs (more like 150!). Adjusting the malt amounts for my system (6.5 gal in kettle, 6 gal into fermenter), and using the above hop amounts I'm getting an OG of 1.08 and a FG of 1.017, which gives nearly 8.5% and 115 IBUs, which seems about right.

In any event, I'm surprised by the yeast. I've heard that San Diego Super Yeast is rumored to be the Port strain. Maybe I'll do a 10 gal. batch and split into two fermentors and use 2112 in one and 090 in the other!

Latest posts

Back