Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > measuring mash temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Jersh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Default measuring mash temp?

This might be a silly question... I use a square cooler as my MLT (photo below, ignore the piss logo, it came on the cooler many years ago) so my grain bed is usually fairly deep. I'm in the middle of a mash right now, and I'm curious how deep into the mash should I be measuring the temp? I have a standard thermometer standing in the corner so the bulb is at the very deepest point, and it's reading 156... however when I bring the bulb up to where it's only a couple inches into the mash, it drops down to about 153. My target was 154, so I'm probably a bit high I'm assuming?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I'd say stir it up more. The mash temperature is critical and having some of the grain high and some low will change your results.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
ibrewit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I would stir it. It will probably equalize close to 154.

Doesn't your furry brewing buddy have an advice?

Old 10-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

The cat does look concerned. Stirring is the best way to get a handle on the average temp of the mash as others have mentioned. Unfortunately, you will lose some heat from the MT when you open the lid to do the stirring. There's no perfect solution to this problem and it is one of the main reasons I switched to a RIMS system. OTOH, your beer will likely come out just fine.

BTW, you have a beautiful cat.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 8

+1, I was surprised how much stirring it takes to even out the grain temp...I used to think that it was just normal for the temp to fluctuate a few degrees around the tun, but on my last couple of batches I stirred "a lot", several minutes I would guess, and to my surprise, much less deviation.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 10-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I stir my mash about every 15 minutes which also gives me time to check my mash temp and iodine. Is that a normal frequency.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
RighteousFire
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I noticed that problem as well when I started all grain. I leave the stirring paddle for the boil and use a paint mixer attached to my drill, 30 seconds and it mixes very well.

Cheers.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut_Monkey View Post
I stir my mash about every 15 minutes which also gives me time to check my mash temp and iodine. Is that a normal frequency.
I never stir mine once I've mashed in. I know my temp won't drop more than a degree or 2 if I don't open the cooler. Every time you open it to check you lose heat.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 10-18-2009, 07:05 AM   #9
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I never stir mine once I've mashed in. I know my temp won't drop more than a degree or 2 if I don't open the cooler. Every time you open it to check you lose heat.
This is entirely true. I simply don't trust my software to be dead on accurate. Granted my cooler drops in temp each time but I figured opening it 3 times during the mash and then a fourth time when it should be finished was not as big a deal. I simply like to know with confidence that I'm hitting my mash temp and getting proper conversion according to iodine testing.

To each his own.... and with good reason.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut_Monkey View Post
This is entirely true. I simply don't trust my software to be dead on accurate. Granted my cooler drops in temp each time but I figured opening it 3 times during the mash and then a fourth time when it should be finished was not as big a deal. I simply like to know with confidence that I'm hitting my mash temp and getting proper conversion according to iodine testing.

To each his own.... and with good reason.
I cook BBQ competively and this is just like at a BBQ contest. Newbie BBQ teams want to know why their brisket or ribs or pork never really cook completely and they score poorly. Then you realize that they are opening their cooker every 30 minutes to look at the meat. Duh!

Guy

Quick Reply