Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mashed Way Too Hot - Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
kzimmer0817
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Mashed Way Too Hot - Help

My son was brewing a 10 gallon last night beer last night - one that was special to him. Apparently, his estimated strike temp did not consider that his grain was quite cold. In an effort to raise the mash temp in his cooler, he added way too much very hot water. The mash was around 185 for quite a while as he tried to add ice bottles, then the sparge stuck as we tried desperately to drain the cooler.

He figured that he had killed any enzymes necessary for mashing. After much frustration, he went ahead and boiled down what he had to about 5.5 gallons and put it into a sanitized no-chill container. His gravity was about 1.100.

The concern is that he has a concentrated 5 gallons of non-fermentable wort (if you can call it that).

Is there a way that this could be saved/salvaged?

1. adding exogenous enzymes to sort of perform the job that the natural enzymes would have done had they not been inadvertently denatured?

2. adding a certain amount of this concentrate to the mash of a "repeat batch" of this beer (using fresh grains) so that the enzymes in the fresh grain will also convert the more complex sugars in his concentrate?

Thanks,
Keith

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Draw off a 1/2 gallon or so, add way-too-much yeast and see how it ferments. If it doesn't get very far, you could add some amylase enzyme, which you can get from most LHBS for about $2. I don't know how well it would convert at this point. Another option is Beano, although that would convert every last carbohydrate in the beer to fermentable sugar, which may not be much better than what you have. I suppose you could try something like the second option you listed above; adding all the wort at 150ish with a few pounds crushed base malt for an hour or so.

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 350 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

For the future, he might try what I do in case of missing mash temp. Instead of mashing with 1.5 qt/lb, I mash with 1.25 qt/lb. I put .25 qt/lb in the fridge to get cold and the same amount in a pot to boil. This means I can move my temps up or down quickly without making my mash too thin. It also limits how much of each I can add. I always add a small amount at a time, mix and then wait measure temp. If I add a bot too much hot, then I can add some cold to pull back down.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts

Hey Keith, did you point out that he wouldn't have had that problem if he was doing BIAB?

nurture my pig

Old 12-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Mashing the grain at 185 presents more issues than just more unfermenting sugars. At over 172F you'll extract tannins from the grain. This could be a batch destined to be dumped. Before you bottle/keg it be sure to pull a taste sample. It would suck even more if you bottle it up only to find you cannot drink it.

Also, head slap him for messing up that badly.

BTW, I never have this issue in my direct fired mash tun keggle.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
At over 172F you'll extract tannins from the grain. This could be a batch destined to be dumped.
As long as the pH is low that's not true. Decocted beers aren't tannic, and the mash is boiled.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
As long as the pH is low that's not true. Decocted beers aren't tannic, and the mash is boiled.
Only a portion of it is boiled... This was the entire thing... Not saying it will be a dumper, but it's got at least a 50% chance of feeding the sewer rats (and gators)...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
kzimmer0817
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Only a portion of it is boiled... This was the entire thing... Not saying it will be a dumper, but it's got at least a 50% chance of feeding the sewer rats (and gators)...
Thanks for the responses thus far. He called our LHBS yesterday while I was at work. He was going to be receiving some amylase some time today.

Regarding the boiling: the grains didn't get boiled. My understanding is that tannins are released when the grain stays too hot (perhaps this hot?). We lifted the cooler/mashtun to straddle a large keg so we could try to drain it, and it stuck. We quickly lined the keggle with my BIAB bag and dipped the contents - grain and all - into the keggle/bag. The bag was then pulled leaving only the liquid. There was sufficient frustration in the air that I don't know how long all this took.

So, it was the product of an overheated dunk sparge that got boiled down.

I told him the throw the whole mess out and I would buy him the grains so we could try it again in a week or so.

Thanks,
Keith

Old 12-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #9
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Don't dump it. What temp was the initial temp? T,he temp that was too low. Did he do a starch test? Is the wort sweet? If so it converted some

BL, CL, Miller etc. is like makin love in a canoe.....
its fkin close to water.
Lagering/conditioning: German pils, Dortmunder
Lagering:Kolsch, Dusseldorf alt
American Amber, Red ale
Double ipa, Rye ipa
Fermenting: German pils
Wheat 1,Wheat 2
All to be kegged and served by May 10

Old 12-15-2012, 02:56 AM   #10
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzimmer0817 View Post
Regarding the boiling: the grains didn't get boiled. My understanding is that tannins are released when the grain stays too hot (perhaps this hot?).
My point was that when you do a decoction mash, you boil part of the mash, including the grain. And there's no worries about tannins, they're only a concern if the pH gets above 5.4 or something. So I don't think you need to worry about tannins.

Quick Reply