Mash tun clogged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertlizardking

Reaction score
I'm brewing pumpkin ale, did the first two draws. Then when I went to drain to, the pot it's clogged. Any ideas??

Pumpkin is some sticky stuff.
Did you include a few handfuls of rice hulls in the mash?

And yes very sticky. I've done two all grain with the same amount of grain and never had this. I did do pumpkin in it.

If it's totally stuck I usually dump it into a paint strainer bag in another pot and do an impromptu BIAB with the leftover wort.

Sometime stirring helps, but I'm guessing you've probably tried that.

If you don't have a strainer bag try using a colander to get as much liquid out as you can without too much grain.

Once they're stuck you're pretty much screwed. At that point you're just trying to salvage the wort.

I've stirred enough to where it is draining slowly. Should I just use other pot idea or try and ride it out

At this point I'd just try to strain it into another pot. You'll be fine.

I've done this several times and it's never messed anything up. After several of these experiences I am a die hard Rice hull fan now. They work really well.

Yeah - nothing worse than a stuck sparge. Except maybe an infected batch of beer.

At least you got through the mash and 1 washing before it stuck! That's a plus! When it sticks on the first runnings you know you're in for a long night. :D

Stirring typically helps but when that fails I always just open the valve and blow through the tube lol. Not the most sanitary method but it's pre-boil so who cares.

Lol that's awesome. I thought of that myself. My problem was when I stirred the first time I kinked the hose.

I second the blow through method. Worked twiced for me now. Took a couple tries the second time.

I've never had that work for me. It usually unclogs, but then it clogs right back up after a few seconds. That, and the chance of scalding my lips with 160F wort makes me a little nervous. :D

I've used an air compressor before to blow back through the valve sharply and this has blown out the stuck sparge and usually doesn't get stuck again. Just make sure the lid is loosely covering your tun when you do it.

Ain't no party like a hot wort party, cause a hot wort party don't stop. Well unless you are brewing with pumpkin and don't use rice hauls.

Back