low ppg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgalvin

Reaction score
HELP!

I am brewing a big abv brown ale 7.8%. The target OG was 1.076, not sure what went wrong but it looks like I only hit 1.053. Can I add DME to boost it back up or just let it ride and have a lower ABV?!??!?!!??!

If so how much DME? I have 2 pounds on hand.

Thanks

Yes you can boil up DME and add it, 1lb will add 9 pts to 5 gallons so 2lbs will bump the gravity up 18 or 1.053 +1.018=1.071

In terms of what happened, was this an AG batch? If so, you lost some efficiency along the way.

Yes it was allgrain. I definately lost some efficiency, just not sure what I did wrong. OH well I bet it still tastes great when finished!

Yes it was allgrain. I definately lost some efficiency, just not sure what I did wrong. OH well I bet it still tastes great when finished!

If you provide recipe and detailed process as well as volumes used and temps of readings we can help you diagnose so you can fine tune your process. If you are using software you need to verify your equipment settings as well.

12 lbs of pilsner malt
2 lbs victory malt
.5 roasted barley

Mashed in with 5 gallons of 164 degree water. Mashed at 152 for 60 min.

Sparged with 3 gallons of 164 degree water for 15 min at 152.

Here is where I think I went wrong,let me know what you think, I didnt think I had enough wort collected so I sparged again with 2 more gallons for 15 min, same temps.

I ended up with 6.8 gallons of wort at 1.054. Beersmith was looking for 1.076.

I added 2 lbs pislen light dme to kick it back up.

Did my 60 min boil with 2 oz simcoe at 60 min, then 1 oz mt hood at 15 min.

I ended up with 6.2 gallons of wort @ 1.068

I couldnt fit it all in the bucket so I put in 5.5 gallons and ditched the rest.

My guess is over did it with the sparge and basically diluted, but missing by .022 seems like alot for an extra gallon of water.

I have done about 10 allgrain batches and this is the first time I missed.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I continue to learn an awesome hobby!

Rob

Also the beer would probably more appropriately be called a brown imperial ipa then a brown ale. But who needs to be fussy!

Why did you use the additional 2 gallons? Do you know your boil-off rate? Have you entered it into your equipment profile?
You answered your own question... you can't end up with too much wort and not expect it to be low in gravity.

Back