New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Low OG advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffinn View Post
Not to worry, you'll still make beer. The grain crush has a big impact on efficiency. Are you crushing your own grain or do you get it crushed at the shop? Either way, don't stress, have fun!
This would be my next course of action to persue. Seems like you've got everything else in order, next step would be to check the crush. How many whole grains do you see in your crush? You should see almost none. The husks should be separated from the germ as well. Next time, if you aren't using your own mill, try a double crush. You might want to grab some rice hulls though, in case it ends up too fine and you need to add them for better flow.

Getting my own grain mill had a drastic impact on my efficiency. I don't think it was the LHBS fault really, it's just that their mill gets used so much, it's probably hard to keep it tuned well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 01:40 AM   #12
BlindFaith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
This would be my next course of action to persue. Seems like you've got everything else in order, next step would be to check the crush. How many whole grains do you see in your crush? You should see almost none. The husks should be separated from the germ as well. Next time, if you aren't using your own mill, try a double crush. You might want to grab some rice hulls though, in case it ends up too fine and you need to add them for better flow.

Getting my own grain mill had a drastic impact on my efficiency. I don't think it was the LHBS fault really, it's just that their mill gets used so much, it's probably hard to keep it tuned well.
I looked at the spent grain today and there are hundreds of whole grains in there. I know that was the issue and I will bring it up to the LHBS tomorrow. The guy milling it isn't the beer guy anyway, he is a wine maker. It was obviously an honest mistake and I got a free beer out of it anyway. I just hope my beer is drinkable being such a low OG. They are both fermenting like champs though. We'll see how it goes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply