Liquid yeast for a DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mastersudconsumer said:
ok i'm gonna brew this weekend again, the yeast that i washed last week tripled in volume. Can i step up my dme ratio for starter or stay at 1.040?

image-3299588675.jpg

Denny said:
Starter wort should always be in the 1.020-40 range.
As mentioned earlier in this thread I want to of two starters. Since I have quite a bit in this vial can I split it from there or should I go through the whole process that was explained

My experience is that 1.040 is the sweet spot. You could make a larger volume of starter @ 1.040 in a larger container to grow more ueast, but if you step up the gravity you'll end up blowing your krausen all over the place and it will be a mess. And yes, splitting is a good option.

prandlesc said:
My experience is that 1.040 is the sweet spot. You could make a larger volume of starter @ 1.040 in a larger container to grow more ueast, but if you step up the gravity you'll end up blowing your krausen all over the place and it will be a mess. And yes, splitting is a good option.
I tried to make a 1/2 gallon starter in my 2 gallon Carboy but my stir plate magnet is not strong enough. How much more beneficial is using the stir plate vs just swirling occasionally?

WLP002 is also a good choice. It's the "non-dry" version of the english ale but if all you want to do is drop your FG by a couple of points, sub some corn sugar for some of the malt. I use about a pound, maybe a pound and a half and I've had 1.070 beers drop to 1.009.

I tried to make a 1/2 gallon starter in my 2 gallon Carboy but my stir plate magnet is not strong enough. How much more beneficial is using the stir plate vs just swirling occasionally?

A stir plate provides quite a bit of advantage, and you can successfully create a starter by swirling. But you need to be diligent in your swirling. My stir plate is great - it even works when I'm sleeping. The stir plate keeps the yeast in suspension longer, which uses the wort more efficiently, and in turn creates more yeast cells.

LovesIPA said:
WLP002 is also a good choice. It's the "non-dry" version of the english ale but if all you want to do is drop your FG by a couple of points, sub some corn sugar for some of the malt. I use about a pound, maybe a pound and a half and I've had 1.070 beers drop to 1.009.
I do want to possibly drop a point or two but just to dry up the beer a little. Plus would like to start seeing yeast flavors as well. I need to start relating yeast flavors with the different craft brews I drink to start compiling a "palate bank" so to speak. I have been told to sub some of my malt with dextrose. It's gonna be a long and delicious journey:)

Latest posts

Back