Is it important to filter after boiling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjones17

Reaction score
Hello all! Merry christmas. I was wondering, does anyone here feel the need to filter your wort after your boil? There is an awful lot of hops (I use pellets) in my wort, but it has never really been a problem as of yet. Is there an issue with leaving them in the fermentor?

I do stovetop AG FYI

There is no issue with leaving the break material or hop pellets in the wort as it goes to the fermenter. Some people do make efforts to remove some of it, and there are reasons such as not wanting those things to take up space in the fermenter, or in my case, not wanting hop solids to go through my CFC and pump, but they won't impact the quality of your beer IMO.

I usually use a grain bag for both hops and steeping grains in my boils.

I do still use a steel mesh filter to try and keep the extra stuff out. However my last batch I didn't...and did get a decent amount of hop 'parts' in the wort (even with the grain bag in use). They settled out so you can rack the beer just fine after it's been sitting a while.

I did still pick up a little bit of hops into my keg, but after the first pour it was gone. Didn't taste bad with them in there anyways.

Depending on how you chill, there's no problem with having all of the hop sludge in break material in the primary. It will settle out in the trub.

If you're using a CFC you may want to take some care to avoid clogging your CFC.

Many people think (and I agree) that break material and hop sludge has beneficial nutrients for the yeast to get going quickly.

+1 on not worrying about it unless its going to clog something. Use the whirlpool method and siphon off. If you want, you can siphon on top of a sanitized colander with sanitized cheesecloth lining. It will reduce some of the particulate matter, but the cheesecloth clogs easily by hop pellet trub.

Some dump everything in, without straining, just pour it in the bucket or in the funnel....Some use a big strainer that fit in the funnel for a carboy, or a sanitized 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in the bucket...

I have done it all ways. It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

In other words, there is no wrong way to do it, or better way, or way that will make the best beer...they all work...the choice is what will work the best for you. That's how you develop you own unique brewing process. By trying all ways and deciding what works best for you.

What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.

But pretty much up until I got my immersion chiller for christmas last year I just dumped for the majority of my batches.

The main difference is the amount of trub in the fermenter. I use pails with spigots, so I like to minimize the trub. If you use carboys and/or siphon, it doesn't matter.

I use a super fine chinois to remove the hop pellets and to help aerate, but I don't worry about the rest.

Back