IBU's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bren2426

Reaction score
Use beer smith for my recipes. I am about to start a cream ale. When it calculated the ibu it said it would be 54. I need this to be under 25. What can I adjust to make this happen. Thanks.

What's your recipe?

The easiest way to reduce IBUs is to reduce the bittering hops (usually at 60 minutes in the boil). If you're getting 54 IBUs and your goal is under 25, it sounds like you're way overdoing the hops.

Just drag the sliding scale to 25, and it will re-calculate the hops additions.

You can also change the hops you are using. If high AA you can get a lower AA hop and reduce it. All of these methods are valid ways to go about it and would depend on what you are trying to achieve.

Decreasing the boil time of your buttering hops along with how much you're buttering with will have the biggest effect.

Hey, don't knock it until you've tried it. Enough butter can help anything :).

Back to topic: If you post the recipe, you will probably get some better input on how to adjust the hops to reach your IBU target.

Have you set the correct boil times for all your hop additions? BeerSmith defaults to 60 mins for each addition, and if you forgot to set a late hopping to only a few minutes boil, then the IBUs will be calculated as much higher.

Hey everyone I figured it out when I plugged in the info for my first hop addition I put 45.7 AA and it was suppose to be 4.7. Once I realized that and corrected it everything came into play. And it shows 17 ibu which is about right. Thanks for everyone's help. I am making a cream ale. If it turns out the way I want it to I will post the recipe. Thanks again.

Back