Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > I love no sparge brewing...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default I love no sparge brewing...

My usual brew days are 6 hours. My usual brewhouse efficiency is 75% (83% to kettle).

Today I tried out a new setup with my new pump. RIMS, no sparge, no chill.

Dumped all 8.25 gal of water into the kettle, added my salts per the water adjustment spreadsheet assuming 8.25 gal of mash volume, and loaded up 11# of grain into my mash tun. Goal is to have 7 gal pre-boil, assuming .125 gal per # of absorption. BeerSmith says with that much water to heat to 162*F so I heated to 161*F while setting up, measuring, and crushing grain. Once I hit my strike temp I pumped all the water into the cooler and then started recirculating.

dsc01816.jpg

After stirring the mash in in the MLT and letting temp settle it ended up 1*F over my desired strike temp of 150*F at 151*F. Not bad for a RIMS n00b. It took a few adjustments to equalize the flow between the pump and the MLT but I found it tends to equalize on its own if you are patient and don't mess with it (a few inch rise or drop in the kettle will tend to offset the potential flow from the pump valve and the level will stay constant, as long as the valve setting between pump and MLT aren't off too far from each other).

Recirculated for 40 minutes for a total of 45 minutes to mash, then I started slowly heating until I hit 165*F for mashout. I had to run the burner for about 1 min every 10 min to keep the mash temp constant. After hitting mashout I turned off the pump and let the MLT drain into the kettle while heating for the boil, now at full throttle.

Here are a few more pics of the recirculating system between the BK and the MLT.

dsc01817.jpg

dsc01819.jpg

dsc01818.jpg

I have created a spreadsheet I use to determine my expected gravity, efficiency to boiler and brewhouse efficiency (.xls format). NoSparge.zip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd
holmesinco Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

After the boil I recirculated for 5 minutes to sanitize the pump, lines, and valve, then pumped the boiling hot wort into my sanitized HDPE ale pail.

dsc01821.jpg

While that was going I grabbed a sanitized cup and scooped 1 quart of hot wort into a sanitized flask to chill in the sink for my Real Wort Starter, The Pol style.

dsc01822.jpg

After all the wort was transferred over I stuffed a paper towel soaked in Star San into the airlock hole of my lid and snapped it on. The wort will chill overnight in the garage and I'll pitch tomorrow whenever it gets down to 65*F.

dsc01823.jpg

All told my brew day was 3 hours 45 minutes including cleanup. This new system will be a great way to get a quick brew into the fermenter! Today, I brewed and roasted a half pound batch of coffee before lunch! That's a new personal record.

Efficiency to kettle was 76% and brewhouse efficiency was 67% without sparging on a 1.053 brew. That translates to about 1.5# extra grain, and since I buy in bulk... let's see... that's about $1 worth of grain to shave 1.5 hours off of my brew day vs. a double batch sparge. I'll take it!

I can't take all the credit though. This is essentially the Aussie BIAB and no-chill setup, they invented it, I just worked it into my system.

Quote:

Old 10-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

sounds like a win to me. thanks for the pics and stats.

If and when I get a pump... I lay money I do this some days.

Is there a pick up tube in the kettle on that spigot? and a pic of the manifold in the lid of the cooler, if you would.

I am intrigued.

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 10-10-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

The sparge manifold in the cooler is a 3' piece of silicone tubing with holes drilled every 1/2" and a plug in the end. It's connected to a nipple sandwich which comes through the lid just like the pot lid. I forgot to snap a photo of it I'll post one next time I have the rig out.

In the kettle I have a 10" braid connected to the spigot for the pickup. A 90* elbow screwed into the F-F of the weldless fitting kit would work just as well if you have the patience to whirlpool and let it settle before pumping out.

Quote:
Dave258 Likes This 
Old 10-11-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
TUCK

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Hmmmm, I really like this idea, thanks for posting. I think I may have to try this hot wort in a bucket and let it cool over night, I mean this will take off at least 30-45 min waitng to cool down.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:16 AM   #6
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6328 Times on 5484 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Is that 3lbs of bacon under your MLT in the 1st pic?

Old 10-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
Yambor44

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I may have missed this but when do you add your hops?

Old 10-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

nice setup! Something like this might work out great for my limited space apartment brewing setup.

Are you draining the MLT by gravity into the BK/heat exchanger, then pumping out and back up into the MLT?

Old 10-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
chrisrush
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm sure he added the hops after he reached his boil temp.

Looks good. I really like the simplicity of your setup. Did your temp get below 65 with the temps over night in Austin?

Barrel 1: Jim Beam
Primary 1: DFH 60' IPA (10g)
Primary 2: AHS Shiner Clone (10g)
Keg 1: AHS Pumpkin Ale
Keg 2: AHS Imperial Oktoberfest/Marzen
Keg 3: Munich Helles
Keg 4: Golden Celeia Pilsner
Keg 5: Chocolate Stout
Keg 6: Witguy Bier

Old 10-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrush View Post
Looks good. I really like the simplicity of your setup. Did your temp get below 65 with the temps over night in Austin?
Left the bucket in the garage overnight and it was ready to pitch this morning from the real wort starter.

I use The Pol's adjustment for my hop additions. 60 -> 45, 30 -> 15, flameout -> dry hop. If I had 15 minute those would have become FWH and bittering amount adjusted to offset the IBUs.

Quote:

Quick Reply