Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Hop Flavor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2008, 05:21 AM   #1
betch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hop Flavor

I made a batch of beer with hops that turned out to be stale smelling and tasting. I had the trub/yeast in the fridge and used it without knowing the off smell/flavor would appear in the next batch. Has this happened before and besides trashing the yeast can I dry hop the current keg and other 5 gallons to cover the smell/taste? I'm pretty sure the smell of stale is the worst part and the current beer is a amber ale with low IBU (20+) so the current Willamette does not mask the smell. I just want to salvage the current keg and modify the other bucket still on the yeast cake.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2008, 05:58 AM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I am willing to bet on a hot aeration problem but not to sure. How old is the amber that tastes stale. I would say that some heavy dry hopping will mask some but not all the smell and will do very little for the taste.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by betch View Post
I made a batch of beer with hops that turned out to be stale smelling and tasting. I had the trub/yeast in the fridge and used it without knowing the off smell/flavor would appear in the next batch. Has this happened before and besides trashing the yeast can I dry hop the current keg and other 5 gallons to cover the smell/taste? I'm pretty sure the smell of stale is the worst part and the current beer is a amber ale with low IBU (20+) so the current Willamette does not mask the smell. I just want to salvage the current keg and modify the other bucket still on the yeast cake.
Stale... Can you describe it better? I'd think oxidation (cardboard flavors) would be a likely culprit and not the hops.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
betch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The flavor of the beer is exactly as the hops smelled stale. The beer was not aerated until at or below 80. The hops in question were purchased and arrived with holes in the bag so it seems the hops were frozen and not properly packaged hence the stale smell. Was this from the small amount of hops in the yeast/trub mixture?

Quick Reply