HLT question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I-Hop

Reaction score
Hello.
I am in the process of putting an all grain set up together. Is there any benefit to putting a diptube in my keggle HLT or can I just drain from the coupling with a valve on the outer end? I havent brewed all grain yet, but I am under the impression that the HLT is just to store/heat your sparge water. If that is so, it seems like the only downfall will be that I would have to heat maybe another gallon (or so) of water that would sit below the level of the coupling.

Do you mean cut out the bottom of the drain, turn it over and drain out the original hole? If so, yes. I couldn't use the coupler. 2" tri clamp fittings will attach to a sanke keg. You can buy one that has a 1/2" NPT thread.

I have a keg with the top cut off and 3 couplings on the bottom end of the sidewall with a ball valve, a temp guage, and a sightglass installed. I was wondering if it would be OK to drain from the coupling on the bottom of the sidewall or if the diptube would be necessary to drain the HLT to the bottom of the vessel.

I have a keg with the top cut off and 3 couplings on the bottom end of the sidewall with a ball valve, a temp guage, and a sightglass installed. I was wondering if it would be OK to drain from the coupling on the bottom of the sidewall or if the diptube would be necessary to drain the HLT to the bottom of the vessel.

A short pc. of tubing from the inboard side of the ball-valve with a 90* down to the depressed center of the keg (similar to those used with false bottoms) would effectively siphon it within a few tablespoons of empty... otherwise flow will stop when the fluid level goes below the ball-valve

No need for a diptube. I just add an extra gallon of water when filling my HLT for my mash water. That extra gallon stays in my HLT after I drain my mash volume. If you have a sight glass, just make sure you remember that extra gallon of 'dead' space.

No need for a diptube. I just add an extra gallon of water when filling my HLT for my mash water. That extra gallon stays in my HLT after I drain my mash volume. If you have a sight glass, just make sure you remember that extra gallon of 'dead' space.

^^^ Extra water is much easier
Just getting ready to "calibrate" my sightglasses, and this got me to thinking.
Would it be better to start the markers with zero being top of "dead" volume and measure actual "dispensable" volume?

Also got to thinking about measuring MLT volume. Using inverted keggle, so no "lost" dead volume, but wondering if I need to include volume of HERMS coil and plumbing when calculating my mash ratio. Primarily 10 gallon batches.

Appreciate any experiences or observations.

Just getting ready to "calibrate" my sightglasses, and this got me to thinking.
Would it be better to start the markers with zero being top of "dead" volume and measure actual "dispensable" volume?

Also got to thinking about measuring MLT volume. Using inverted keggle, so no "lost" dead volume, but wondering if I need to include volume of HERMS coil and plumbing when calculating my mash ratio. Primarily 10 gallon batches.

Appreciate any experiences or observations.

Yes, you should include the total liquid volume in your MLT "loop" when determining the mash ratio. For my RIM's system, I use 1.5 qts/lb in my system and that gives me a "consistency" in the grain bed of about 1.25 qts/lb after considering the volume tied up in hoses and the RIMs tube.

EDIT: you can determine your loop volume either mathematically (volume of a cylinder) or practically by charging your system then draining the external components into a bucket and measuring that volume.

In a keg, the bulkhead drain would nearly be at the 2.5 gallon mark. I find it wasteful to spend the energy heating an extra gallons that you wouldn't use. Even a hose barb with a short piece of silicone tubing is better than nothing if stainless steel tubing isn't in the budget.

Yes, you should include the total liquid volume in your MLT "loop" when determining the mash ratio. For my RIM's system, I use 1.5 qts/lb in my system and that gives me a "consistency" in the grain bed of about 1.25 qts/lb after considering the volume tied up in hoses and the RIMs tube.
That makes complete sense to me.
In a keg, the bulkhead drain would nearly be at the 2.5 gallon mark. I find it wasteful to spend the energy heating an extra gallons that you wouldn't use. Even a hose barb with a short piece of silicone tubing is better than nothing if stainless steel tubing isn't in the budget.
And so does this.

Thank you gentlemen............

This is what I do in my HLT, I trimmed the tubing at a slant so that is lays almost flush with the bottom of the vessel....works great.

While I don't like the idea of heating the extra water, the first mark on my Bobby_M sight gauge is at 2 gallons. To make it easier, I fill more than I need and heat it, use what I can read on the gauge. Oh well....

Back