Heat wave brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hokie_Brewer

Reaction score
Anyone else on the east coast brewing outside in this heat wave? It's pretty hot in general much less standing over the burner...

image-4036362366.jpg

Brewed yesterday at 108 in Brooklyn NY I brewed in the hottest and coldest days of the year

I'm determined to not let the weather dictate when I brew. Of course, a blizard, or monsoon level rain could delay me. If I get word from my brew-buddy that it's a brew day, and I'm not already committed to do something else (that I can't get out of), then I'm brewing damnit. The world could be ending that evening, I'm still brewing. After all, we might be able to take it with us. :D:rockin::ban::drunk:

I'm brewing next week no matter what happens with this heatwave, maybe even a lager! Id brew Monday on my day off but I'm going fishing. Screw the heat, if anything it just helps you get to temps faster!

Brewed today in my basement. Was about 80 when I started. Probably well over a 100 when I was done. Had to take a break as I was getting dizzy. Got it done and missed my OG by a bit but still should be good.

I live in TX and it's been over a 100 degrees for over a month now. Brewing in cooler weather is definitely preferred but I'm not letting the heat slow me down too much.

;)I brewed my "Old Brewery Pale Ale" this morning in the heat. I just cracked open a homebrewer earlier because of the heat.;)

I brewed outside yesterday. It felt like it was 150 degrees when I had the burner on. Also when I stuck I my digital thermometer into the sample I was using to check the gravity the thermometer started at 102 and started moving downward when I turned it on. :drunk:

I am brewing with my buddy tomorrow. He's doing an all out all grain with sparging and the works. I lucked into a partial mash. I am tempted to just go with no mash out, no sparge.

Such babies, cry me a river it's been over 100 in west texas for more than 30 days straight. Brew a batch of suckitup

LOL! SuckItUp Saison. A great name for brewing in triple digit temps. :D

Yep, it's been hot for a month now, but we are managing to brew through it anyway. The only change is I get my wort under 90 degrees and then it goes into the Fermenteezer and I pitch the next day when it's at 65.

Yeah, I wised up and switched my mash tomorrow to no mash out, no sparge. This means minimal time over burners for me tomorrow. My friend will be sweating his ass off sparging and sparging and sparging. I may have freeze e pops or ice cream.

We are not use to this weather up here in New England. The thermostat in my car on Friday was 108.....That's friggin HOT!!!! I hate the heat....

Yeah I know what you mean....I am brewing this week and the temps are supposed to get up to 75 here at the beach in SoCal. Whatever will I do?;)
Hope you guys and your beer are surviving and don't worry Snowmaggedon willl be there before you know it!!:p

Brewed two batches today and bottled another, top temp in Staten Island was 102, according to my neighbor. It got rough, but the wife and kids were at a birthday party all day, so it was the only option. Definitely better to utilize the day, even though it was brutal. Now I get to enjoy my homebrewed scotch oaked cider

Since maybe my third batch of beer, I have always used a cooler filled with water and bottles of ice to control fermentation temperatures. The only times that I run into any trouble are when it gets colder in the middle of winter and I have to use a heating pad to get my beers up to the correct temps. I have brewed beer in the middle of summer when it gets to mid 90's in the house and not had any trouble.

Brewing AG in the garage anywhere this summer is just darn hot. So this year I started doing mini-mashes on the back porch early in the morning. This means much less time in the heat and more time inside where it's cool.

I was going to wait but you guys talked me into it. I will be doing a Rye IPA today. It is supposed to get to 105-110 with the heat index. I hope the pre chiller does its thing as my tap water is 80. If you dont hear back from me send the beer wagon :drunk:.

Yeah, right in the middle of a 4 month heat wave called summer. Crap happens every year.

I hate brewing in the summer, so I pretty much just don't do it. It is not so much that I do not like being out in the heat, b/c once you are out and sweaty, what difference does it make? I just enjoy cool morning when I can go out and sit and drink my coffee while heating the sparge water without sweating through my shirt and getting eaten alive by mosquitoes. Not to mention shilling, ugh, only thing I have brewed this summer is saison and I can get that to 76 with my plate chiller, so I am happy.

I wasn't too stoked to be outside yesterday brewing in this heat, especially since my thermometer was reading 98*F at 5 pm in the shade. It wasn't too humid though, and there weren't any mosquitoes, so I can't complain too much. I did have to use my IC in conjunction with an ice bath to get down to pitching temps though.

A buddy wanted to brew with me yesterday but couldn't get out of work until 2:30...so instead of getting up early to brew like I originally planned we started during the hottest part of the day. I kitchen brew so it wasn't *quite* as bad, but it was still ridiculous.

I think I lost a good 5 lbs brewing on the deck yesterday, so that was good. Although heat plus distractions somehow made me not get the right amount of sparge water, so the final 1 gallon of rinse came from the hose. And I forgot to vorlauf. But I felt pretty happy about the brew day.

Thankfully there was room in the keezer to get the wort temps down because even with the pump, i ran out of ice and couldn't get below 82*.

I've brewed twice in the past few weeks. It has been a freakishly hot summer with lots of 110+ heat index days here, and one of the days I brewed was just unbelievable. I didn't drink a single beer while brewing, probably a first for me!

ps, the day I brewed the temperature in my smoker was almost 170 just from the sun. The humidity in the south is just awful, I lived in Southern Cal for a year, and 100 there is a lot easier to deal with than 100 here. You step outside and are instantly wet from the humidity and even breathing seems harder than usual.

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree in the "suck it up" department. But luckily we have a reprieve today since it's only going to 91.

Try growing up in Vegas and having it hit 120+ for about a week or two every year? Also, 90-95 at night.

Brewed orange coriander wit on our hottest day in WI last week (which has been very hot). Index of 116 I think it was.

Such babies, cry me a river it's been over 100 in west texas for more than 30 days straight. Brew a batch of suckitup

Completely agree. We're not in a heat wave and the index at my house is 109F. You all should just be happy you don't have to deal with these high temps for months on end, year after year. :)

I've been through the western states,& y'all ain't got it as bad as we do here. Why? Because you have dry heat,you don't get as miserable. Being nearer to Canada,we get your dry desert air mixed with very humid air from the great white north. It's so damn muggy,I can't wear no drawers or shirt.
Out in the desert,I wore jeans,& a long sleeve shirt. Albeit a thin one. I've noticed that,in the spring when we get,say,an 80 degree day,it doesn't feel hot at all. No humidity to speak of.
And it's not so much brewing in the hot sun,it's not being able to control ferment temps. I can't even afford a pack of cigs & a tall boy to ease my suffering,let alone swamp coolers,bottles of anything to drink that I can freeze to use to keep the FV's cool. I'm too pour,& it's too freaking hot. Period. Suck it up my a$$. You guys try working in a foundry of 145F in the heat of July/August! I used to sweat off 10lbs every night! I WAILED through the 1st 5-6 drafts like hell fire through sage brush after 12-16 hours of that.

I have to walk a mile uphill (both ways) on broken glass from High Life bottles just to get to my brewery which is firewood powered. Then I have to battle a 9 foot tall cyclops rapist armed with a sonic disruptor just to get the firewood. You ladies have it easy.

woosie boys! I have to fight 4 yuppy Klingons with those double ended swords,then battle the Lernian Hydra on my way to fighting with the old lady in front of the door. all at 100+F/humidity...

Latest posts

Back