Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Has anyone tried 2 batch sparges?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Has anyone tried 2 batch sparges?

Just curious if anyone of you have tried this? I'll use 5 gallons as an example.

Mashed 11 lbs with 3.5 gallons of water. 60 min
Batch sparged with 3.5 gallons of water. 15 min
2nd batch sparge with x amount of water, to up the volume?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I typically do a double batch sparge.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I always do a double sparge with half of the sparge water each time.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 02-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Same here, double batch sparge with about 2/3 of the water for first sparge and 1/3 of the water for second sparge.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
jpoder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

if you can put up with the added volume of water (and diluted pre-boil wort) you really bump up the efficiency with more batch sparges. I usually do 2 but have done 3 batch sparges to find out how high of efficiency I can get. (with three it is usually just drain the mash tun, 1st batch sparge addition, stir like heck for a few minutes, wait a few minutes, vorlauf, drain tun, 2nd batch sparge addition, stir like heck, volauf, drain). and occasionally rinse grains once again. Doing a barleywine I was still getting runnings of almost 1.040 after collecting my pre-boil volume! I can see why people do partigyle! Lots of sugars left in the grains.

That being said, I don't really obsess about efficiency...grain is cheap. I don't mind that my efficiency is in the upper 60%'s...just know what it is and move on.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Ok, great thanks all. I'm just thinking maybe I could get about 6 gallons in my fermenter instead of the usual 5 - 5.5, to make a hair more beer I'll try this next time.

So what do you think something like this? With 11.5 lbs of grains, brew target puts this at 6.778 gallons pre-boil and 6.055 batch size.

3.5 gallons mash 60 min - vorlauf - drain
3 gallons batch sparge 15 min - vorlauf - drain
2 gallons batch sparge 5 min - vorlauf - drain

Old 02-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 381 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I do 2 batch sparges. Its more about my equipment(small sparge water kettle) and process than it is about efficiency.

Many report no change in efficiency between 1 and 2 sparges. I suspect the people that do report a difference have a lot of dead space in their MLT.

OP, you dont need to wait that long, just put the water in, stir the hell out of it, vorlauf, and drain. No waiting needed.

For normal gravity beers I typically mash at 1.33 quarts per pound at the minimum, usually closer to 1.5. Also, is that your measured boil off rate? My system is usually just north of 1 gallon per hour.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

You really do not need to wait any amount of time between sparges if you are batch sparging. You just beat the heck out of it stirring and then let it drain.

If you can put a BIAB bag over your brew pot and then you do not need to vorlaff either. After beating the grain silly just open her up wide open and let it rip

Old 02-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
BrewLou
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoder View Post
if you can put up with the added volume of water (and diluted pre-boil wort) you really bump up the efficiency with more batch sparges. I usually do 2 but have done 3 batch sparges to find out how high of efficiency I can get. (with three it is usually just drain the mash tun, 1st batch sparge addition, stir like heck for a few minutes, wait a few minutes, vorlauf, drain tun, 2nd batch sparge addition, stir like heck, volauf, drain). and occasionally rinse grains once again. Doing a barleywine I was still getting runnings of almost 1.040 after collecting my pre-boil volume! I can see why people do partigyle! Lots of sugars left in the grains.

That being said, I don't really obsess about efficiency...grain is cheap. I don't mind that my efficiency is in the upper 60%'s...just know what it is and move on.
I do pretty much the exact same thing.

Primary 1 & 2: Watermelon Wheat!
2ndary 1: Empty
2ndary 2: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Saison & Pilsner

Old 02-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
Also, is that your measured boil off rate? My system is usually just north of 1 gallon per hour.
It looks like Brew Target has it set at 1.891 qt per hour for evaporation rate. One thing on my to-do list, is to make a measuring stick for my kettle, just haven't done that yet to do better measurements. Next time I do a 5-6 gallon batch, I'll make sure I have a measuring stick handing, so I can enter this data into Brew Target for more accurate measurements.

Quick Reply