New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Gambrinus Honey Malt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
BridgewaterBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I contacted my local HBS www.LOVE2BREW.com and they said they'll ship international.
Also http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/ says on their website that they'll ship international.
Both have honey malt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post
Anecdote:
About 20 years ago in a business class, I argued that shipping was a prime cost, at least to some businesses. The professor didn't buy the argument. I rebutted with "well, wait a few years...".

I think it has arrived.
No joke! 20 years ago your were paying how much for diesel and jet fuel?

When shipping costs more than the product you have to start reconsidering your desire for said product.

Next up: The Hops of Wrath (DIPA)
Primary: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Spring Amber Ale)
Secondary:
Bottle Conditioning: Spring '14 Kolsch, Swamp Monkey Belgian Golden Strong, Vienna Lager

Old 03-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #13
Pezman1
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post
That Honey Malt is one marvelous product and Gambrinus (Canada) is the only one making it. They're onto something and there's no substitute AFAIK. I wonder why it isn't more widely available.

Apart from drying your beer out, "real honey" does pretty much nothing to flavor. This malt does, and I use some honey malt in many ales calling for "honey."
Nonsense! Adding honey at flameout absolutely adds flavor and aroma. It is unmistakeable. I use one to two pounds in my honey ales/wheats.

Honey, along with any other simple sugar, has the POTENTIAL to dry out a beer, but most recipes compensate simply by way of malt and yeast choices.

I agree with you on Gambrinus honey malt. It is a wonderful specialty grain in a honey beer that complements and enhances honey flavor and aroma.

I think most negative reviews on honey use comes from people that add the honey at 60 minutes instead of at flameout of later.

At any rate, a honey beer should have HONEY in it! Pez.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
BridgewaterBrewer
Recipes 

I've put 1 to 1.5 lbs of clover honey in 5 gal batches of Brown Ale or Pale Ale at flamout and couldn't really detect it. I'm sure it depends on how good your sense of taste is (and probably the type and quality of the honey), but the majority of posters seem to report a similar phenomenon. So I bought some honey malt...

Old 03-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
Pezman1
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgewaterBrewer View Post
I've put 1 to 1.5 lbs of clover honey in 5 gal batches of Brown Ale or Pale Ale at flamout and couldn't really detect it. I'm sure it depends on how good your sense of taste is (and probably the type and quality of the honey), but the majority of posters seem to report a similar phenomenon. So I bought some honey malt...
Don't misunderstand me, honey malt is great. I use it and recommend it.

However, there does seem to be an unfounded ...fear? about using honey. It is the oldest brewing adjunct, and can make tasty beer. I use raw clover or wildflower honey added at flameout.
I agree with you about honey in brown ales - it is harder to detect. It really seems to shine in wheats...at least for me.
Cheers! Pez.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #16
BridgewaterBrewer
Recipes 

I haven't seen any afraid to use honey, it's just that honey is expensive so why add it if you can't taste it?

Quick Reply