Freezing wort for use later.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L0stm4n

Reaction score
I brewed a high gravity beer this weekend. After pulling off all we could use we were still pulling wort off at 1.050+. I filled 2 milk jugs and 2 2 liter soda bottles and froze them. I could have gotten more but my propane burner was boiling the everloving **** out of my barley wine so I had to use my stove to heat up some more water. Anyone see any issue with using this frozen wort to make starters? It was never boiled but I have contemplated defrosting, boiling for a short period, then refreezing to aid in shelf life.

Has anyone done this? My idea is to eliminate the need for the DME I'm currently using to make my starters. Figure I can defrost a bottle, pull what I need and refreeze. Then just boil the bit and pitch some yeast once cool.

I have also thought about using it for experiments.

I just couldn't bring myself to dumping all that grain without pulling some of that wort off for later use. Just hoping to get HBT opinion.

Sure it will work. I freeze wort for starters. I defrost, boil, cool and pitch.

You can also pressure-can it for storage without consuming precious freezer space/energy.

You can also pressure-can it for storage without consuming precious freezer space/energy.

I have some extra space in the freezer. If it came to having to can it I would probably just say screw it and go back to DME.

I have some extra space in the freezer. If it came to having to can it I would probably just say screw it and go back to DME.

What's the difference between boiling and cooling it everytime you make a starter or canning it all up at once?

Not much I guess once you put it that way. Though wouldn't it still be wise to boil it before pitching into it?

Nope, pressure canning sterilizes the wort. No need to boil as long the jar seals. Just pop the seal when you're ready and dump it in your starter vessel.

I'll look into that.

Canning: another sub hobby to add to my homebrewing along with gardening and construction.

Latest posts

Back