First timer/high gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steph_512

Reaction score
Hi, I brewed my first batch today. I had a pre-boil of 6.25 gallon. Gravity of 1.047. Post boil (60 minutes) 3.25 gallon. Gravity 1.071. I think I lost alot of worth. And I'm affraid it will be too strong in alcohol. I hope not Did I boil too hard ?

A loss of three gallons in an hour to boil off is A LOT. I think most folks have between one gallon and one and a half gallons. You can always add tap water, or boiled tap water, to bring volume back up to where you want it.

The beer may be out of balance - too much malt for the hops. But, it will be beer. And a 1.071 SG is big, but not that big.

Ok thanks for your response. Should I of been boiling at a simmer or a big boil? I uses a propane burner. My kettle is 10 gallon. do my gravity seem right ?

I go full throttle with the propane until the boil starts. Then I dial it back to just enough to maintain the boil. Saves propane and you don't lose as much water to evaporation.

You can add water and stir well until you reach your desired gravity.

Thanks for your response. Now I had a high gravity. Could I of had the wrong sugars? It only fermented fir 3 days ? What should I do? Should I still wait for day 10 to bottle?

Wait a bit. The bulk (obvious) fermentation happens in the first couple days, but it is still fermenting. Plus the yeast are cleaning up the wast products to give a cleaner taste. If you have the time, I would think about letting it sit in primary 3 weeks to mellow.

I'm just astonished you managed to boil off 3 gallons in 60 mins. I wouldn't have thought that was even possible - you must have a freaking HUGE pot!

Use a low "rolling" boil. Your boil off will be 1 to 1.5 gal per hour. Even in a 10 gal pot (that's what I use).

You will want to let it sit for at least 2-3 weeks before doing anything. There are still good beer-making processes happening after the bubbling stops.

I have a DIPA (1.084) that I let sit in primary for 3 weeks. The bubbling was done in about 4 days, and I had reached my final gravity (1.011). I kegged it at 3 weeks, and it still tastes a little green about 6 weeks after brew day. I may pull it from the kegerator for a few weeks to allow it to condition a bit more.

Back