First time matching the expected OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esocid

Reaction score
I'm celebrating because I not only achieved my goal of finally meeting the expected OG, but surpassing it. This is my 3rd brew, a Schneider Aventinus mini-mash clone, and I got an OG of 1.076, and it said to shoot for 1.074. I didn't increase any temps, or time, at least not intentionally. I think I just sparged it more efficiently this time. My first brew I was definitely timid about what I did. I love how this is a learning process, but hate that you need a couple of months before you can tweak something you do to see the effect. I hope this turns out well, because it's a fantastic beer. :mug:

Good job done there!

That said, don't get bummed out and think "failure" if you are 6,8,10 points above or below what the "recipe" says next time. Recipe predictions are notoriously flakey. It's gonna be what it's gonna be, and as long you are in the ballpark you have nailed it.

Congrats on the brew, I'm sure it will kick.

Good job done there!

That said, don't get bummed out and think "failure" if you are 6,8,10 points above or below what the "recipe" says next time. Recipe predictions are notoriously flakey. It's gonna be what it's gonna be, and as long you are in the ballpark you have nailed it.

Congrats on the brew, I'm sure it will kick.

Ok, good to know, because my first two were 8-10 points below what the recipe said. Still tasted fine, but a 3.5% IPA just sounds weird. :p
Thanks guys.

Yup, there's no way for the person who made up the recipe to know what your mash and sparge efficiencies will actually be. You'll have to adjust the recipe yourself.

Congrats! By the time I managed to get consistent efficiency w/ mini-mash methods I moved on to all-grain! Now I'm learning all over again and I love it!

It'll be a while before I try to move to all-grain. Not enough space for it where I'm living.

Anyways, I checked in on it last night, and it had started fermenting within 8 hours, and completely forgot about how vigorous it would be fermenting. Checked on it this morning to see my airlock full of krausen. I have the carboy wrapped in a towel so there wasn't any mess, but I quickly attached my blowoff hose and a container of sanitizing solution. Like I said, I love how this is a learning process. Lol. The closet definitely smells like an Aventinus already though.

Back