First Partial Mash Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm thinking of doing my first partial mash brew tonight, but have a few questions. I recently purchased a cream ale extract kit from Northern Brewer, but decided to modify it a bit before doing the brew. I'd like to turn it into some kind of vanilla cream ale kit. The below recipe is what I've come up with.

Grains
.75 lbs. Ganbrinus Honey Malt
.25 lbs Dingemans Biscuit
.5 lbs Flaked Oats.

Fermentables
6 lbs. Pilsen Malt Syrup

Hops
1 oz. Cluster (60 min)
1 oz. Citra (15 min)

10 oz. Lactose (last 15 min of boil)

2 Vanilla beans split and scraped (secondary ferm)

Yeast
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale

The reason I want to do the partial mash is to get the full mouth feel effects from the oats. I found a pretty good 'how to' guide for the partial mash process in a book that I have, but my question is do I need include some 2-row in my mash? If yes, do I need to adjust the amount of liquid malt that I add at the boil? Any info is appreciated. Thanks! :mug:

Check the degrees Lintner of those grains. I don't think you have enough diastatic power to make a mash out of that. Add about 3.5 lbs of two row...figure up your gravity from the grains alone...then just add enough syrup to get the correct gravity.

Back