First fruit beer- re-pitch yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackshoreJake

Reaction score
About 9 days ago I brewed my first to-be fruit beer. The beer is a raspberry porter that I had made to start with a gravity of 1.050 and end at about 1.010. The beer had a vigorous ferment for about two days after I pitched the yeast (Wyeast London Ale)- and slowed to just about nothing after about five days. The temperature of the fermentation room was anywhere between 58-68 degrees depending upon time of day. Today I assumed that the beer was ready for secondary- and more importantly the 6 pounds of raspberries to impart that fruit flavor. I pulled the last bit of beer from the primary to measure the gravity... to my dismay it was 1.025. The beer tasted halfway the way I wanted, and half like a burned milkshake.

My question is now that I pulled the beer of the original yeast, is it going to hurt to re-pitch yeast of the same strain to finish up the beer? Is there going to be a problem with the rasberries being in there too? I know the berries change the gravity no matter what- but is this going to make it FAR more alcoholic than it would normally? And if I do re-pitch the yeast I'd be using a new bag of wyeast- how much of that should I pitch?

Lots of questions. Thanks for reading and hopefully you guys can help me out!

Jake

Did you actually measure the OG as 1.050 or is that just what a kit told you it was supposed to be? Because it's definitely feasible that yeast completely fermented out in 5 days. And 1.025 is not an unexpected FG for a porter, especially if your OG was closer to 1.060. Perhaps you boiled off more than you thought and your OG was higher than expected?

The raspberries are not going to do anything crazy with the alcohol. And don't worry about the roasty flavor yet - the flavors will need time to blend. I just brewed a 1.066 Oatmeal Stout that fermented out in 5 days to 1.024. It tastes pretty acrid right now, but it's very very young.

Always check the gravity before you transfer to secondary. I would've left the beer in primary a lot longer, but I'm in the "month-long primary" crowd. If it was still in primary when you checked the gravity, you could've roused the yeast or warmed it up to finish the ferment.

To pitch now, because there is no O2 left in your wort, in order to get anywhere close to the number of yeast you had, you're going to have to do a massive starter, or re-aerate your wort.

I did take my OG gravity before I pitched my yeast- It was about 1.052 at 73 degrees- so I guess ultimately that makes the gravity closer to 1.055. Still making the beer pretty low ABV- considering hat I was shooting for. But the ABV is not what I'm so much worried about- rather the sweet taste when I tasted the beer before I put it into secondary. The burned I know will mellow out- and I know the raspberries are going to give it some sweet flavor too- But will that original sugar calm down- or am I about to make a huge starter...?

I say go ahead and add the raspberries if you haven't and taste it after their sugars have fermented out. I bet the extra dryness from the fermented fruit sugars will help with the sweetness.

I'm not a big fan of trying to correct beers with new yeast and all that mess... I feel like you're just making an experiment.

Latest posts

Back