The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG-BIAB-SMaSH

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
NAVET
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First AG-BIAB-SMaSH

I am midway through the mash on my first all grain. It just so happens it is a BIAB as well and a SMaSH.
I am using 12 Lbs Vienna Malt. Missed mash temp by 2F and hit 152F I have 5 Oz of German Saphir in waiting. I opened the hops and was smacked in the face by a lemon lime smell. IT SMELLED AWESOME!! A lot like warm sprite. I can not wait to see how this turns out

A "Veteran" -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to, and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
alcibiades
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

keep us posted! i've never dealt with german saphir, sounds interesting.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
NAVET
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Might sound weird but smelling the steam coming off the boil smells very citrus-lemon kind of a smell. Almost at the 20 min. addition. So far so good.

A "Veteran" -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to, and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:31 AM   #4
NAVET
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Very good brew day. The Saphir was a very odiferous hop. It'll be interesting to see how it works with the Vienna malt after fermentation.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You should complete the lazy brewer trifecta and do no-sparge & no-chill too.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 11-29-2009, 12:18 AM   #6
NAVET
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I didn't sparge! I left the bag in the mash, pulled it out and let it drain while I brought the wort back up to a boil. No chill? Maybe next time.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:32 AM   #7
NAVET
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

UPDATE:
I kegged it tonight and thought I would make a couple observations. It smells typically German. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but that is what comes to mind. After that smell subsided, I was quite blown away by the lemon-lime-citrus smell. SWMBO says tangerine but I don't smell it.
Can't wait to taste it, too bad the kegerator won't be here till Tuesday.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #8
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds tasty. I've got a Vienna/Northern Brewer smash in my party pig keg right now. Had a taste of a Vienna / Centennial smash that was reeallly good a couple weeks ago too. Maybe the slight sweetness of Vienna matches well with citrusy hops.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 12-14-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
NAVET
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It has been under pressure for 4 days and I thought I would update the thread. Again it smells typically German. Not sure how else to describe it. The citrus/lemon-lime smell has mellowed quite a bit and it is less in your face than before. A very nice beer and will be brewing it again in the future.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
OLDBREW
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

what yeast did you choose for that brew?

Quick Reply