FINALLY a great brew day!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
This is my 3rd batch with my new RIMS system and it went awesome. I made an orange/coriander pale ale. I was a little lost at first since the recipe did not include strike water temps, sparge water amount or important facts I needed. I was given advice by some of you guys on here to go on some brew calculators and yeast pitching calculators and found all the great information I needed.

I finally hit my OG of 1.054 (actually it was 1.060) which at this point I will take. I have never hit my OG for some reason. Part of it was that I am still learning to use my RIMS system. The PID would hold the temp but I noticed on my last two beers it would fluctuate ~5* above the set temp for some reason. The reason was that the valve I have on my MLT was open too much and the valve incoming into the copper heating manifold was not open enough allowing the element to concentrate too much heat with not enough fluid movement.

Today I opened the MLT valve about 3/4 of the way and the inlet valve to the copper manifold about 1/2 to 3/4 and it held the temperature with ~.5* variance (short time) between mash and actual temp....I was so happy that I finally figured it out. I guess if I would have bought a brewrig as opposed to making it, it would have come with instructions....:D

Either was the brew day went awesome. This is the first time I pitched dry yeast instead of spending extra money on white labs vials at twice the cost.

Just wanted to share.....Thanks for the help!

Joe:rockin:

Good to hear! Did the pale ale have the traditional American hops along with the coriander/orange? I'd think coriander might clash with the hops, but if you can pull it off that's great.

It was an APA which utilized cascade hops. This is the schedule:
BOIL/HOP SCHEDULE
2 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added first wort, boiled 60 min

Whirlfloc - added during boil, boiled 15 min

2 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
2 oz Coriander crushed - added during boil, boiled 10 min
4.0 oz
Orange zest - added during boil, boiled 10 min
2 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
2 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min

Then each corney keg will get 2oz of cascade once I transfer it over around day 20 or so.

Not my recipe but THE POL said it was great and I wanted to try it.

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Back