Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Few issues with my sparge water volumes and gravity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
Klickmania
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So my laptop died right before my first all grain batch and I lost access to my BeerTools Pro software. I've been having to use the water calculators from brew-journal.com and brew365.com as a substitute. I brewed up Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops today as my first ten gallon all grain batch. For some reason I ended up with an extra gallon for my pre boil volume and I also overshot my gravity by 10 points after a 90 minute boil. I've had similar issues with some 5 gallon batches as well. I was able to hit my gravities by boiling longer so that wasn't really an issue.

My question is where is this extra water volume coming from??? If I added that extra gallon I would have had close to 14 gallons of wort and there's no way I'm boiling off that much.

I really appreciate any input from you guys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I'm a batch sparger, so if you're fly sparging this may not apply.
Honestly, I only use my calculator for mash-in.
After that, I collect my 1st running and then sparge whatever I'm short for my pre-boil.
Can't comment on the other software, but if you had your recipe (I assume you had your recipe since you were able to brew), why wasn't your water volumes included?
Sorry if that's a dumb question... I use BS2, and it's on my phone too.

Keg #1: RHESB 6.2
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: BMC West
Fermenter #1 Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe, The Bollocks ESB, Dark Matter stout.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Here's the recipe I used: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/crea...eam-ale-66503/

I'm batch sparging as well. Without the proper software it almost feels like I'm flying blind.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klickmania View Post
I'm batch sparging as well. Without the proper software it almost feels like I'm flying blind.
No need to fly blind. The volume of your first runnings should be the mash volume less the amount lost to absorption, which is about .12gal/lb of grain. Your pre-boil target minus the first runnings gives you the estimated sparge volume needed. When batch sparging I usually throw in a little extra so I don't risk being short then just stop collecting when I hit volume.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad

No need to fly blind. The volume of your first runnings should be the mash volume less the amount lost to absorption, which is about .12gal/lb of grain. Your pre-boil target minus the first runnings gives you the estimated sparge volume needed. When batch sparging I usually throw in a little extra so I don't risk being short then just stop collecting when I hit volume.
Thanks man! I guess the issue now is figuring out the pre boil volume needed. The online recipe builders I've been using don't give me one. Is it basically the final batch size plus the boil off rate and trub loss?

Old 02-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks man! I guess the issue now is figuring out the pre boil volume needed. The online recipe builders I've been using don't give me one. Is it basically the final batch size plus the boil off rate and trub loss?
You've got it. There's also a slight loss to chilling (4%) which would be a little less than a quart on a 5 gallon batch.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Ok I guess I was just over thinking it really. All those water volume calculators I came across online account for like half a gallon equipment losses then half a gallon trub loss. Which I thought to be a little high. In honesty I haven't really measured for all that's stuff, but I figure that I'm losing about half a gallon total between both. Is this something that most all grain brewers worry about or no?

Also how much strike water are you heating for say a five gallon batch with an OG of say 1.055? And do you use all of it, or just dump what you don't need?

Old 02-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
no need to fly blind. The volume of your first runnings should be the mash volume less the amount lost to absorption, which is about .12gal/lb of grain. Your pre-boil target minus the first runnings gives you the estimated sparge volume needed. When batch sparging i usually throw in a little extra so i don't risk being short then just stop collecting when i hit volume.
this^^^^^

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 02-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Ok I guess I was just over thinking it really. All those water volume calculators I came across online account for like half a gallon equipment losses then half a gallon trub loss. Which I thought to be a little high. In honesty I haven't really measured for all that's stuff, but I figure that I'm losing about half a gallon total between both. Is this something that most all grain brewers worry about or no?

Also how much strike water are you heating for say a five gallon batch with an OG of say 1.055? And do you use all of it, or just dump what you don't need?
It's probably worth keeping good notes for a few batches so you can dial in your system. I am a dump-everything-into-the-fermenter kind of gal so I don't account for "equipment losses". I figure in about .5 - .75 gal per 5 gallon batch for trub loss (usually depending on how much hops I used).

How much strike water depends on how thick/thin you want to mash. 1.055 is about 10 lbs of grain? I'd mash with about 3 gallons (1.2 qt/lb). I measure before I heat it, no point in heating what you don't need. As I said I do heat a little extra sparge water (like a couple quarts) so as not to be short into the kettle.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad

It's probably worth keeping good notes for a few batches so you can dial in your system. I am a dump-everything-into-the-fermenter kind of gal so I don't account for "equipment losses". I figure in about .5 - .75 gal per 5 gallon batch for trub loss (usually depending on how much hops I used).

How much strike water depends on how thick/thin you want to mash. 1.055 is about 10 lbs of grain? I'd mash with about 3 gallons (1.2 qt/lb). I measure before I heat it, no point in heating what you don't need. As I said I do heat a little extra sparge water (like a couple quarts) so as not to be short into the kettle.

I meant to say sparge water. I understand mash thickness, I'm just an idiot lol. If you have to wait to measure your first runnings, do you just heat up a certain amount of sparge water and dump what you don't need?

Quick Reply