Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > EZ Water and Bru'n Water Differ Drastically

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
TFrankMac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 23
Default EZ Water and Bru'n Water Differ Drastically

Hello all,

I'm planning on brewing an English Dark Mild based off of John Palmer's (Belladonna Tooks Oaked Mild) recipe. My recipe below is based off an estimated overall efficiency of about 84% which I hit regularly.

5 lbs. Maris Otter
.85 lbs. English Medium
.45 lbs. Special Roast
.42 lbs. Flaked Oats
.42 lbs. Flaked Wheat
.25 lbs. Pale Chocolate

Est. OG 1.038
IBUs 19.6
Color 13 SRM


That being said I am getting two completely different estimated mash pH levels between EZ Water and Bru'n Water. Both factor in a 70% dilution with distilled water off my base water profile which can be seen on the EZ Water sheet. I have attached two pictures of the spreadsheets below. Any ideas on what I can do to remedy this?

screen-shot-2012-10-01-8.19.pm.jpg   screen-shot-2012-10-01-8.17.pm.jpg  
__________________
TFrankMac is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,395
Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

EZ == 5.56, Bru'n = 5.0. My guess is the acid addition is entered wrong in Bru'n Water?

__________________
afr0byte is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
TFrankMac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 23
Default

Hmm sorry about that, the pictures don't seem to load well. Anyways, the EZ water calculations lend a pH range in the 5.5 range where the Bru'n water lends a pH range of 5.0.

My base water profile is:
Calcium 33 ppm
Magnesium 9 ppm
Sodium 12 ppm
Chloride 21 ppm
Sulfate 24 ppm
Bicarb 122 ppm

I am diluting the 2.5 gallon mash with 70% distilled water and then adding 0.8 grams of gypsum and 1.1 grams of calcium chloride.

__________________
TFrankMac is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
TFrankMac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
EZ == 5.56, Bru'n = 5.0. My guess is the acid addition is entered wrong in Bru'n Water?
I thought I had misentered a value as well, however I checked and I am not adding any acidulated malt (or any other acid for that matter) to the Bru'n water table. Not sure why I am so far off then??
__________________
TFrankMac is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,355
Liked 4279 Times on 3118 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFrankMac View Post
Hmm sorry about that, the pictures don't seem to load well. Anyways, the EZ water calculations lend a pH range in the 5.5 range where the Bru'n water lends a pH range of 5.0.

My base water profile is:
Calcium 33 ppm
Magnesium 9 ppm
Sodium 12 ppm
Chloride 21 ppm
Sulfate 24 ppm
Bicarb 122 ppm

I am diluting the 2.5 gallon mash with 70% distilled water and then adding 0.8 grams of gypsum and 1.1 grams of calcium chloride.
I can't see the Brun water spreadsheet, but for me it's always been more accurate. With that base water, and 70% distilled, I can't imagine it would say 5.0 for a pH. do you have the grains entered right?
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,395
Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

It looks like you have 3L or something for pale chocolate. Am I seeing that correctly?

__________________
afr0byte is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #8
TFrankMac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
It looks like you have 3L or something for pale chocolate. Am I seeing that correctly?
Yes, from my experience the color of the malt (with the exception of crystal malts) has nothing to do with the pH outcome. I tend to only change the L of the crystal malts to make sure the pH outcome is correct. I put in the real value of pale chocolate (about 200ish SRM) and it had no effect on the pH. As long as the drop down box to the right indicates its a roasted malt I am usually good.
__________________
TFrankMac is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,395
Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFrankMac View Post
Yes, from my experience the color of the malt (with the exception of crystal malts) has nothing to do with the pH outcome. I tend to only change the L of the crystal malts to make sure the pH outcome is correct. I put in the real value of pale chocolate (about 200ish SRM) and it had no effect on the pH.
If you put the file somewhere I'll take a gander. I'm bored at the moment. I'll PM you an email address if you prefer.
__________________
afr0byte is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #10
TFrankMac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
If you put the file somewhere I'll take a gander. I'm bored at the moment. I'll PM you an email address if you prefer.
Sounds good. Shoot me your email if you'd like.
__________________
TFrankMac is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basic water chemistry with bottled spring water Kosch All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 09-12-2012 11:05 AM
Bru'n water RA? Braufessor All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 06-16-2012 02:25 PM
Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Profiles 28S All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 01-19-2012 04:43 PM
2 Gallons of Water Below False Bottom - Opinion on Mash Water Amounts Jewrican All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 07-15-2011 03:55 AM
EZ Water vs. Bru'n Water for dark beers afr0byte All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 04-05-2011 02:23 PM