Efficiency Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjibbad

Reaction score
Curious how well I did yesterday and since I don't know how to calculate efficiency I was hoping someone would help.
8.5 Malt eurp
1.5 Weyermans Smoked 2 row
1 Victory malt

7 Gallons preboil at 1.051 OG

Thanks

I plugged this into BeerSmith as best I could. I'm not sure what "Malt eurp" is so I used 8.5 lbs of Pale 2-row instead. A 7-gallon pre boil volume would make about 6.1 gallons post boil with an estimated pre-boil gravity of 1.043, so I know this can't be correct because it produced well over 100% efficiency.

i wonder if its 8.5lbs of Malt Syrup...which would totally screw with efficiency readings since its already been extracted.

no malt syrup, Malt Eurp is something the guys at my LHBS turned me on to. It's kind of like Marris Otter but they claim it is better. My final volume was 5.5 gals (almost exactly) at 1.060 sorry for the fat finger above meant to say 1.041.

I don't know what the PPG on Malt Eurp would be so I just used the number for two row pale. I come up with 69.5% into the kettle and 79.6% into the fermentor.

Back