Dumb idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snevey

Reaction score
Somebody stop me!

I was thinking about something... I'm about ready to do my first 5 gallon all-grain brew (using my $15 Wal-Mart 5 Gallon HD Igloo cooler :rockin:) and when I collect my wort, I was thinking about putting a brand new, unused, small engine gasoline filter (paper element) to screen out any husks that might get through. Since this is pre boil, I don't see a problem with it.

So, what I'll do is connect my 1' vinyl hose to the ball valve, install the proper sized fuel filter, then drain that into my brew kettle. Am I on crack? Sounds like a great idea to catch any rogue husk material.

Please keep the flaming to a minimum!:eek:

A few husks are not a problem IMHO.

The filter however could clog during the sparge and cause a problem/mess.

I think you may be over thinking it a little, just let 'er drain

True... Thanks guys. I think if I want to do anything, I may just run it through a strainer. Would do the same thing with no extra cost. I do over think things sometimes. I love to make things more complicated then they really are!

you could NEVER get the wort through that filter without a pump pushing it. It absolutely will not flow.....well, I guess if you had a day or two then it would go through, but I'm assuming you want to make beer in one day, not 3.

I would not, I had a similar idea once and found that the filter had been treated with a chemical to add durability to the filter medium. It really just smelled of diesel fuel.

you could NEVER get the wort through that filter without a pump pushing it. It absolutely will not flow.....well, I guess if you had a day or two then it would go through, but I'm assuming you want to make beer in one day, not 3.

Well, it sure would "work"... I just changed the fuel filter on my 1972 Wheel Horse Raider 14 with a 36" snow blower on the front. I noticed that when I put the new fuel in, I had gas running through the filter and onto the garage floor with just a gravity feed.

I'm not doing it. It was a dumb idea. As per the subject...:rockin:

Not exactly a "dumb idea"... your mind is in the right place :)

Just remember to K.I.S.S.

Back