Doh! I can't believe I did that!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limulus

Reaction score
I had a checklist for everything and that includes transferring to the bottling bucket. I even sprayed my hands with iodophor. I removed my primary from the fridge after a 24-hr crash cool had everything double and triple sanitized. Since this is my first brew in 15-yrs, I'm using plastic buckets for fermentation instead of glass carboys. The first thing I heard when I opened the valve was the horrible sucking/gurgling of the damn fermentation lock! Even with it on my checklist, I still didn't pull it out. The water that was in it had been about 1/2 iodophor. I'm hoping that combined with toxic CO2 bubbling through kept the water pretty clean and free from any bugs that could be growing.

As far as the beer (an extract/mash brown ale from AHB), it was nice and free from sediment with a solid cake on the bottom. It smells great! I'll be filling three Tap-A-Draft bottles in a while or I may wait until morning. The beer is still pretty cool since it just came out of the garage fridge so it will probably be OK til morning.

I forget to pull the airlock out all the time. I use a dilute starsan solution. I cringe when I realize but have not had any problems.

This is the reason you will find that a lot of people here (myself included) use cheap Vodka in the airlock. Any suck back wont have an effect on the beer. I have done the same thing with many of my my beers and thus why I changed.

I doubt you will have any problems though.

This is the reason you will find that a lot of people here (myself included) use cheap Vodka in the airlock. Any suck back wont have an effect on the beer. I have done the same thing with many of my my beers and thus why I changed.

I doubt you will have any problems though.

ditto on the cheap vodka in the airlock. .. you should be fine though.

Glad to hear it has happened to others. Vodka sounds like a better solution.

doh! is idophore safe to ingest at that concentration?

Also, mordantly, I don't think the iodophor is a problem. Remember, the concentration was a few mls at most in my ferm lock. It is also a no rinse sanitizer and it had been there 20-days. The biggie is only a very small amount was sucked back into my fermenter and that contained 5g of beer to further dilute it. I'm more worried about a potential bacterial contaminant. But the iodophor that was at one time active combined with CO2 which is not hospitable to many organisms probably took care of any potential bug...I hope

I forget to pull the airlock out all the time. I use a dilute starsan solution. I cringe when I realize but have not had any problems.

+ 134

I use better bottles and it sucks back ALL THE TIME. Hasn't affected a single beer, so RDWHAHB. :)

I try to fill up the airlock so that it just barely covers the notches of the the middle piece. That way if I forget to take it off before moving my fermenter it won't suck any of the liquid in, just air.

I use Grey Goose Vodka, that way if it sucks back, then I call it top shelf homebrew.

You're joking, but I'm currently using Absolut in my airlock because it's a PITA to get booze in WA State (only state liquor stores can sell distilled stuff) and I have a full liter bottle of Absolut that I never actually drink... I keep planning to get some cheap stuff, but always forget, and I do have to brew in the meantime...

Though if I ever run out of it, I don't think I'll start using my 18-yr single malt scotch...

You're joking, but I'm currently using Absolut in my airlock because it's a PITA to get booze in WA State (only state liquor stores can sell distilled stuff) and I have a full liter bottle of Absolut that I never actually drink... I keep planning to get some cheap stuff, but always forget, and I do have to brew in the meantime...

Though if I ever run out of it, I don't think I'll start using my 18-yr single malt scotch...

Oban? they make a very nice 16 and 18 years. and only runs $89/750mL

This. I occasionally get some StarSan solution from my airlock into the beer. It has no effect that I can determine. Star San solution evidently makes pretty good yeast nutrient anyhow, so I'm not concerned.

I ditched the airlock all together after 2 blow offs. Now I just use 3 foot of 3/8 hose in a 22oz bottle filled 1/2 way star san.

Back