The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Direct fire or insulate sanke for mash tun?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
BetterSense
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can get small quantities of 'reflectix' much cheaper in the form of car windshield sun-blockers sold at walmart and auto stores. It's foil on both sides with bubble wrap in the middle; essentially the same thing as reflectix but just enough to wrap around a keggle and maybe $10-$15.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
mytommygundont
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I ended up installing a HERMS system. When I direct fired it felt like there was always a lag between when I turned the flame off and what the final temperature would end up at. I couldn't keep the temperatures I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedawgs View Post
I would insulate personally. Before I went to a cooler/stainless braid setup, I used to wrap my Sanke in a furniture blanket. Rarely would the temp drop more than a degree, two max, over an hour mash.
I wish this was my experience. I have always recirculated just for efficiency purposes and found my temperature would drop quite quickly. Now I don't have that problem, but I did spend a few hundred dollars to remedy.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
lakedawgs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I guess I am lucky, I have great luck with a wrapped keg, also when I use a 7 gallon pot on the stove for 3 gallon test batches, wrapped in 2 towels, I hold steady. Did a 3 gallon batch last night, went from 154 to 152 during a 50 minute mash.
I will quietly hope this trend stays steady.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
Horseshoot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Thanks for the answers to my questions. This cones at a good time as I am working on my own system.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the mornings, that is the best they are going to feel all day.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #15
gpack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
You can get small quantities of 'reflectix' much cheaper in the form of car windshield sun-blockers sold at walmart and auto stores. It's foil on both sides with bubble wrap in the middle; essentially the same thing as reflectix but just enough to wrap around a keggle and maybe $10-$15.

Agreed- I got twice as much as I needed at Lowes. It wasn't with the standard home insulation. Think I paid 17 bucks. I have about 10 feet left...

Old 03-01-2013, 02:41 AM   #16
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I hate reflectrix. It has poor durability, and the coating flakes off if you don't take care of it meticulously. Plus it's not a very good insulator. Opt for camping pads if you're not direct firing. If you want some really nice stuff, look for armaflex sheet. Comes in 3x4' sheets. You can use mineral wool if direct firing, but then you'd need to make some sort of shell for it.

Quick Reply