Did i mash too low ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klowe0419

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers I'm fairly new to all grain with 4 under my belt. I brewed the caribou slobber AGK and I was in the primary at 1.054 for 2 weeks and in the secondary for 2 weeks with a FG of 1.010. I bottled the brew last night and had a small taste , it tasted weak and watery with no body I mashed for 70 minutes at 148 a little lower that I wanted but didn't think it would hurt. Did I mash too low or what happens and will carbonation give this beer body and better taste ? Thanks all any help will be appreact

Your mash temp was quite low. You created more fermentables than intended and the residual sugars are low because of it. Next time mash around 152 and see the difference it makes. I mashed a porter at 156 last weekend because I wanted a lot of body.

I agree that your 148 mash is a likely culprit, that's too low IMO. I prefer dry beers over sweet so I often mash low intentionally, 151-152. A soft water profile can also make a dark beer feel thin and watery.
I doubt carbonation will add perceived body, but never underestimate the effects of CO2 and refrigeration on beer.... I'm sure it will taste amazing in a few weeks.

I bottled the brew last night and had a small taste , it tasted weak and watery with no body

Put it out of your mind and taste it again in 14 days, then put it out of your mind for 7 more days, and taste one...repeat as needed. :)

I bottled the brew last night and had a small taste , it tasted weak and watery with no body

Put it out of your mind and taste it again in 14 days, then put it out of your mind for 7 more days, and taste one...repeat as needed. :)

Beergazzi is right, you can't judge a beer that soon. it's still warm and flat and green

I would not jump the gun blaming the low final gravity and low mash temp for a weak/flat tasting beer. And, as stated, a carbed beer will taste vastly different from an uncarbed beer.

You need to post the recipe you followed in order for us to diagnose if there was a possible problem with your chosen malt bill and amount of water used. Were any adjustments made on the original grist, and was this clone supposed to finish at 1.010? Otherwise, give it 3-4 weeks and taste it again.

Latest posts

Back