Cold Sparging???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrfieldsiii

Reaction score
I've been reading for a few days on the forums about sparging and I am getting ready to brew my first All Grain... Are there any ill effects from using cold (Room Temperature) water to sparge the grain other than starting your wort at a cooler temperature for your boil?????

i'm no cornicopia of brew knowledge but can tell ya that the 168-170 ' sparge water will help your grain bed release the sugars better. any hotter water you run the risk of leaching tannins from the grain hulk which can make the beer astringent tasting. room temp will not do as good a job from what I have always read which will affect your efficency.

i do know that many BAIB brewers use a second sparge usually done with heated water or room temp. BUT this is just to get whatever sugars that have not been collected from the normal bag drain.

hope this helped........

GD:mug:

After reading Kaiser's stuff, I tried a cold sparge on several batches. It worked fine for me, with no noticeable ill effects.

agree with the previous mentions of Kaiser's work. I have cold sparged quite a few times out of laziness and still make wonderful beer.

gizmodog51 said:
i'm no cornicopia of brew knowledge but can tell ya that the 168-170 ' sparge water will help your grain bed release the sugars better. any hotter water you run the risk of leaching tannins from the grain hulk which can make the beer astringent tasting. room temp will not do as good a job from what I have always read which will affect your efficency.

i do know that many BAIB brewers use a second sparge usually done with heated water or room temp. BUT this is just to get whatever sugars that have not been collected from the normal bag drain.

hope this helped........

GD:mug:

And you wouldn't want to make the grain hulk angry

Back