Cleaning grain from MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugleBrew

Reaction score
I brew in an apartment and use a 10 gallon cooler for my MLT, and by far the toughest part of the day is cleaning out the MLT. What's your method?

I'm of the total opposite opinion. Cleaning out the MLT is so much quicker and easier then everything else. I simply dump the grains in the yard/garden and rinse out the MLT a few times to make sure I got everything. Maybe every 5 brews or so I'll give it a little scrub with some cleaner, but that's about it.

I find it to be pretty easy too, I fill it with water, dump in a 1/4-1/2 scoop of oxyclean. And it sits till im all done with the brewing, and rinse good.

Well I'm like you, i live in a loft...no yard to compost in...

SOmetimes I bag the grain and dump it in the building's main garbage...but it will stink once the lactobacillus takes hold...

Lately I've been dumping it in the garbage disposal a little bit at a time...probably not the best idea...

that's why i use my "tea-bag" method fro brewing in the apartment. i just dump the grains into a garbage bag in my small garbage can. you can dump from the MLT, but you still have to spray the grains out somewhere, and you don't want those going down the drain in your shower. you could spray it out, fill with some water and dump it down your toilet a couple of times, i suppose, until most of it is gone. i always dump my trub down the toilet.

a friend of mine puts them down the garbage disposal. i tried that once, i think i have a crappier, older GD than his...i thought it was going to die on me.

no matter what, the sooner you spray it out after mashing, the easier the cleanup will be. don't let grains sit in ANYTHING for an extended period of time.

I too find the MLT the most tedious bit to clean but my method is cumbersome at best.

I either scoop out the spent grain or I haul the MLT up the back yard to the compost heap and dump it (then fish the FB out of the pile, LOL). Then haul atht back down to the garage to rinse and brush out into the drive. Only occasionally do use any chemical cleaners.

Next to the MLT. Cleaning the plate chiller & pump is somewhat tedious.

I just line a bucket with a garbage bag, and dump it in. pop out the false bottom, give the cooler a quick wipe and spray out with the sink hose. I find that the brewpot is worse, it gets pretty sticky and requires some extra scrubbing to get clean

i just spray it with really hot water after my mash whether it be pot or cooler...no scrubbing required every time. i scrub them every few batches and it doesn't take any extra work.

Back