Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Chill haze causes/troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

I wouldn't say whirlfloc is ineffective- it's a widely used tool with clear benefits. That said, even stone has problems with chill haze that aren't alleviated by kettle finings. In my opinion it's much more important to have clear beer when serving to non-craft or non-homebrew drinkers as they're used to crystal clear beer no matter what. Brewers and crafties know that beer doesn't have to be perfectly clear and all the reasons it might not be.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #12
BitterBomz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin
I wouldn't say whirlfloc is ineffective- it's a widely used tool with clear benefits. That said, even stone has problems with chill haze that aren't alleviated by kettle finings. In my opinion it's much more important to have clear beer when serving to non-craft or non-homebrew drinkers as they're used to crystal clear beer no matter what. Brewers and crafties know that beer doesn't have to be perfectly clear and all the reasons it might not be.
Good point, but its just a matter of preference. Go to your LHBS and ask about what I told you, and also ask about Clarity Ferm which is also a WLP. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Old 11-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #13
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
I wouldn't say whirlfloc is ineffective- it's a widely used tool with clear benefits.
Just to clarify, by my post I wasn't suggesting Whirlfloc is outright useless, I was merely saying in every beer I've personally used it in I haven't seen a spec of difference. I'd actually created a thread relatively recently about how I haven't seen any benefit of Whirlfloc and asking why that might be, possibly something I might be doing:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/no-success-whirlfloc-369356/#post4611995

but unfortunately with this site it seems most of my posts in the "General" forum get only a scant amount of replies before they are buried into obscurity. So I never really got any help to understand what the reasons could be for my ineffectiveness with it.

Rev.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #14
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starderup View Post
Ever since I started kegging, haze is a thing of the past. I have always used Whirlfloc at about 15 minutes, and had been using a whole tablet until I read that half of one is all you need for 5 gallons.
Another brewer told me that it should go in at 10, and since I highly respect his brewing ability, that's when I'm going to add Whirfloc from now on.
Really? My whirlfloc tabs I got from the LHBS say 'Single tab in kettle treats 3 gal'. I've been using 2-3 tabs per batch.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:32 AM   #15
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
Really? My whirlfloc tabs I got from the LHBS say 'Single tab in kettle treats 3 gal'. I've been using 2-3 tabs per batch.
Nope, half a tab is fine for a 5 gallon batch. They're cheap though, so I usually use a whole one.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Quick Reply