Champagne yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcorpheus

Reaction score
I want to bottle my saison that has been on a secondary fermentation with Brett for the past 8 months. My plan is to use a packet of dehydrated champagne yeast (Lavlin ex-1118 saccharomyces cerevisiae). This is my first time using wine yeast to carbonate so any advice would be much appreciated. Here are a few specific questions I have: 1) I only have 1 packet of yeast that has been in my fridge for 8 months (exp. 1/2015). Do I need to make a yeast starter or just rehydrate the yeast as directed on the package? 2) How would I do a starter for wine yeast or how would you recommend rehydrating the yeast? 3) is this even an appropriate yeast for my purpose? Any other recommendation? Thanks in advance for your help!

You have the perfect yeast for bottling long-aged, strong and/or sour beers. It is tolerant of high-abv and low pH, and won't eat anything but the priming sugar. You won't need anywhere near the whole packet. Just add a few grains to the bottling bucket and rack on top. If you want to proof it in 90F water first, you can, but it's not really necessary. The yeast will hydrate and dissolve throughout the beer. You can put the rest of the pack in a ziploc bag and save in your fridge for future use.

Latest posts

Back