Can you perform BiaB twice, same beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
Say you wanted to make a very high gravity beer. Would it be possible to split the grains in half, perform a BiaB mash, retrieve the grains, THEN perform a second mash with the rest of the grains in the existing wort?

Thought #1: There may be a possible pH issue.

Thought #2: I really need a larger kettle.

not ideally. you would want to split the grain and the water volume for that train of thought. mashing in the previous wort would not retrive the sugar content you are looking for(extra work for very little gains). reccomend just doing one mash.

I would after mashing - raise temp to mash-out temp, squeeze the bag real good and call it done. I'm getting around 81% efficiency and that's about all you can ask for, unless you're talking parti-gyle method.

Also, I would go with door #2.

I'll just mash half, put the wort in a winpak, mash the second and then combine them and start the boil. We are talking 16-18 lbs of grain in a 6 gallon kettle. This is going to add another hour and a half to my brew day, but it looks like the only way I can do things.

Back