Brew Schedule check for Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vindee said:
I want to try a dough-in in my mash schedule and would like some constructive criticism on my recipe.
Will this work out?
Thanks
Steve

Can't really comment as you didn't post anything to critique:drunk:

So you kind of have more of an American Wheat recipe more so than a hefeweizen recipe although you have a hefe yeast selcted. Personally with the grains and hops selected I would use either WLP001 or WY1056 for a clean american wheat beer but YMMV

As for the mash schedule I really don't see a need to do a step mash with those grains. A single infusion at 152 will work perfectly fine. In addition, when batch sparging there is no need to do a mash out. If you wanted to do a step mash I would go with 122 for 20 minutes, 140 for 20 minutes and 152 for 20 minutes, then sparge but again YMMV

Thanks Duboman,
I like the idea of a simplified mash schedule. I think I'll modify it. Hopefully I'll be ready to brew this Saturday.
Steve

Here is my modified mash schedule. I don't really understand the two step sparge process. Do I drain off the first running and the batch sparge twice? That's how I read it.
Any other tweaks would be welcome.
My cascade's are ready to be picked so it looks like I'll be brewing this weekend.
Thanks
Steve

View attachment Hefeweizen Clone.bsmx

Here is my modified mash schedule. I don't really understand the two step sparge process. Do I drain off the first running and the batch sparge twice? That's how I read it.
Any other tweaks would be welcome.
My cascade's are ready to be picked so it looks like I'll be brewing this weekend.
Thanks
Steve

If you can fit the entire sparge volume in the tun there is no need to do two steps.

Basically after the mash is complete you stir like hell, vorleuf to set the grain bed and then drain the first runnings. Add the sparge water, stir like hell again, vorleuf and drain. If a second sparge is required, repeat the process. The stirring is really the key to knock all those sugars loose so stir like your life depends on it!

Back