Bargain Yeast???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theganda

Reaction score
So I came upon some "bargain yeast" at breworganic.com that seems like an interesting deal. Basically they're selling yeast past their intended prime, but that they claim are "still viable". Anyone every tried this? Along the same lines, what's the longest you've kept a smack pack before making a starter with it?

If I bought some of those I would step up a starter a couple of times to make sure there was enough good yeast.

Anyone every tried this? Along the same lines, what's the longest you've kept a smack pack before making a starter with it?

Yes, I've purchased "old" yeast (White Labs) on a number of occasions for $2 - $3 a vial. Just double or triple the size of your starter and you'll be good.

FYI, White labs claims their yeast is good for 1 year from the manufacture date (assuming you make a starter). I'm not sure what Wyeast claims...

So I came upon some "bargain yeast" at breworganic.com that seems like an interesting deal. Basically they're selling yeast past their intended prime, but that they claim are "still viable". Anyone every tried this? Along the same lines, what's the longest you've kept a smack pack before making a starter with it?

I've used a 3 1/2 year old smack pack and had great results. Make a small starter and step it up.

I've use a wyeast 2112 that was 7 months old that I bought from Expert Brewers discount section, I smacked it about 12 hours before using it, I should have done it 3 days before though, it wasn't even close to activating. I didn't make a starter, and even though it hadn't puffed up at all, I pitched it anyways. It took almost 5 days before it took off, but it eventually went and fermentad completely and produced a very nice anchor steam copy.

Back