Anyone ever notice....goo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkecw

Reaction score
So I'm wondering if others have noticed a greater amount of what I'm assuming to be leftover protein goo-like material on top of the grainbed in a no sparge, single influsion mash vs. batch sparging, or if this is also seen in fly sparging.

basically in several smaller beers (1.040-1.050 OG), i've tested the no sparge technique to potentially help increase malt flavors by intentionally cutting the efficiency down a bit and using more pounds of grain. while I didnt do a side by side test with normal batch sparging, the beers (dark mild, smoked dunkel, english pale) did come out quite good. However, more remarkable was the massive amount of proteinaceous material sitting in a peanut butter like spread on top of the grainbed after draining the tun. as such, the wort runoff during vorlauf and collection was exceptionally clear.

Likewise, in subsequent batch sparge beers, this settled clump of protein was somewhat resuspended during both a mashout addition of boiling water, and the batch sparge addition with mixing. as such, the runoff from these mashes was a good deal more cloudy which what I imagine is the floating protein.

Granted, all this protein does seem to settle out eventually, either in the kettle along with the trub, or in the fermenter, as a fair amount gets in. The beers taste fine in the end as well, but the observation got me thinking about the potential benefits to leaving that protein sludge (often thick enough to scoop out with a spoon) behind in the mash.

also, another thing to mention, in my system, an OG of about 1.052-53 seems to be the upper limit for getting a decent (not great but workable) efficiency on the beer. above that I've seen strongly diminishing returns for more malt added, leaving behind a significant amount of sugar. don' know if others have tested this on their setups as well.

cheers

I had a similar experience while making and remaking my hefe. It formed a gelatinous layer on top of the mash. I figured F-it and put it in the back of my mind until now.

it's protein, not uncommon, prob more related to your grain bill or process, like you suggested, much more noticeable with no sparge or before adding sparge additions

the 2 decoction mashes i've done had a very thick layer (kaiser points it out in his decoction videos as well) and i recall a pretty thick layer in my english special bitter mash as well

like this? (7:19mark)

Last edited by a moderator:
ah, yeah I remember Kai's video of the lovely peanut butter protein sludge left behind in the tun. I got a similar effect from my hockurtz double decoction as well.

all the other infusion mashes in which I observed this were low to med gravity 100% barley malt, so nothing extra gooey or protein rich in there.

I'm wondering now if the fly spargers notice this effect as well, and if anyone's traced it to what I would imagine would be a cleaner (and less messy) ferment. if so, I might be willing to trade off the much slower runoff/ sparge time for the boost in efficiency and clearer wort coming out of the tun.

much like a big mash, the plot thickens....

Back