Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Advice needed on coffee stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
ahoffman565
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Advice needed on coffee stout

Hey all here's my situation:

I purchased the partial mash AHS Coffee Malt Stout kit and decided to trick it up with some extra grains. My final recipie ended up being this:

5.5 lbs Marris Otter
.75 lbs Crystal 80
.75 lbs Coffee Malt
.50 lbs Chocolate Malt
.25 lbs Crystal 40
.13 lbs Black Patent Malt
.13 lbs Black Barley
1 lb Amber Dry Extract
8 oz. Malto Dextrine
3 lbs of Dark Liquid Extract (added with 15 minutes left in the boil)

I mashed the grains at 155 for an hour. After the boil and after topping off in the fermenter, I ended up with an OG of 1.072. I let it ferment (with 2 pkgs of Saf-Ale 04) for 14 days and took a gravity reading. It was 1.028. I transferred into secondary and let it sit. Today is the 22nd day in secondary and took another reading. I was pretty much the same - 1.028. The predicted FG is supposed to be 1.018.

Any advice on how to get the gravity any lower? SHOULD I even try to get it lower? Any possible negative consequenses if I decide to bottle it?

On a slightly different note: am I correct in thinking that all the specialty grains lend UNFERMENTABLE sugars only?

Thoughts/Comments/Questions?

Thanks,
Andrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
MVKTR2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I plugged the numbers in at hopville & came up with a projected 1.021 FG. So I'd definatly try to get the FG down a bit. I've got a 1.90 RIS in primary now on Windsor yeast, hoping to get it down to below 1.025 so I'm paying attention to threads like this right now.

My suggestion, pitch a packet of Nottingham, if not that then US-05. Others may vary with opinions about how to pitch it, but I think it would work best if you make a starter with it so it's use to an alcohol rich environment. I suspect it would be way too much stress to dump newly rehydrated yeast into a 6-8% alcohol solution (your bier) and hope many survive.

Good Luck & Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply